P0014 2013 lt - Chevy Impala Forums
Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion W-Body 2006-2013 (2014+ Limited). Discuss all Chevy Impala 8th Generation Performance and Technical Discussion here.

User Tag List

 6Likes
  • 2 Post By hatzie
  • 2 Post By 12 lt
  • 1 Post By sheila
  • 1 Post By jtrosky
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
P0014 2013 lt

Just got this code on the way home from a drive. Stopped at autozone and they read it. The kid asked if the oil was just changed and I said yes it was a week ago. He then asked what kind of oil was used and where I got it changed. Said I did it myself, full synthetic and 5W-30 as it calls for.

He said it's more than likely it's dirty screens in the engine variable timing sensor and it may clear itself or need a new sensor.

Anyone else think that's the problem? Seems to run fine yet. If it is more than likely the problem how difficult is that sensor to change?

Thanks
kbz1960 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Member
 
hatzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baker River Valley, NH
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Thanks: 75
Thanked 140 Times in 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
Just got this code on the way home from a drive. Stopped at autozone and they read it. The kid asked if the oil was just changed and I said yes it was a week ago. He then asked what kind of oil was used and where I got it changed. Said I did it myself, full synthetic and 5W-30 as it calls for.

He said it's more than likely it's dirty screens in the engine variable timing sensor and it may clear itself or need a new sensor.

Anyone else think that's the problem? Seems to run fine yet. If it is more than likely the problem how difficult is that sensor to change?

Thanks
The P0014 code means the Bank1 exhaust timing is being reported more advanced than the ECM is commanding.

This could be several things. The VVT could be sticking so it could actually be more advanced or the sensor could be out of whack or the wiring to the oil control valve could be damaged, or the ECM could be damaged.

Shotgunning this could get very very very expensive. You need to take a look at the service manuals and service bulletins then troubleshoot it to narrow it down.

Are you using the GM/AC-Delco oil filters and Dexos rated oil? The VVT system runs off oil pressure. Dexos rated oil is on the shelf at WalMart from several brands and it's no more expensive than the stuff that's not rated... so it's not worth buying the stuff that ain't.
Normally I wouldn't get GM oil filters but on the 3.6L I run the GM filter. With this problem I'd at least look up the bypass valving and media specs to make sure the filter you're using matches the GM filter specs exactly.

Being the untrusting sort I just change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals and re-set the oil life monitor. That's always been well before the oil life monitor gets snotty about it. I figure GM doesn't have a vested interest in my vehicle lasting longer than the end of the warranty. I don't have sludge problems in my LS and 3.6L engines.
sheila and kbz1960 like this.

2009 Impala SS
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by hatzie; 2 Days Ago at 06:17 AM.
hatzie is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The P0014 code means the Bank1 exhaust timing is being reported more advanced than the ECM is commanding.

This could be several things. The VVT could be sticking so it could actually be more advanced or the sensor could be out of whack or the wiring to the oil control valve could be damaged, or the ECM could be damaged.

Shotgunning this could get very very very expensive. You need to take a look at the service manuals and service bulletins then troubleshoot it to narrow it down.

Are you using the GM/AC-Delco oil filters and Dexos rated oil? The VVT system runs off oil pressure. Dexos rated oil is on the shelf at WalMart from several brands and it's no more expensive than the stuff that's not rated... so it's not worth buying the stuff that ain't.
Normally I wouldn't get GM oil filters but on the 3.6L I run the GM filter. With this problem I'd at least look up the bypass valving and media specs to make sure the filter you're using matches the GM filter specs exactly.

Being the untrusting sort I just change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals and re-set the oil life monitor. That's always been well before the oil life monitor gets snotty about it. I figure GM doesn't have a vested interest in my vehicle lasting longer than the end of the warranty. I don't have sludge problems in my LS and 3.6L engines.
Thanks. I did use Castrol edge doxos oil 5W-30 and and a stp extended life filter. The filter I took off was a white generic no name that I could find.

I did pull the battery cable to let the light go out. It hasn't come back on yet. Maybe not a good idea?
kbz1960 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Thanks: 58
Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
Thanks. I did use Castrol edge doxos oil 5W-30 and and a stp extended life filter. The filter I took off was a white generic no name that I could find.

I did pull the battery cable to let the light go out. It hasn't come back on yet. Maybe not a good idea?
There was a lot of discussion on the oil filter on the lfx engines. Factory sent a lot of the lfx engines out with the pf48, later on there was a tsb suggesting to use the pf63 and even gm dealers continued doing changes with the wrong filter. I know, our car had several changes done by the dealer with the pf48. The stp filter may not be to the specs, would change it. Agree with hatzie here, run the delco filter.
sheila and kbz1960 like this.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is online now  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
There was a lot of discussion on the oil filter on the lfx engines. Factory sent a lot of the lfx engines out with the pf48, later on there was a tsb suggesting to use the pf63 and even gm dealers continued doing changes with the wrong filter. I know, our car had several changes done by the dealer with the pf48. The stp filter may not be to the specs, would change it. Agree with hatzie here, run the delco filter.
Well damn it lol. Thanks
So the pf63 is the correct one?
Autozone has a pf63e? That says is for it.
kbz1960 is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now I'm completely confused. My manual says PF63. Websites including rock auto and and autozone and Amazon are saying PF64.

So which is it?
kbz1960 is offline  
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Thanks: 58
Thanked 75 Times in 70 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
Well damn it lol. Thanks
So the pf63 is the correct one?
Autozone has a pf63e? That says is for it.
I believe both the 63 and 63e meet the proper specs.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is online now  
Senior Member
 
sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Thanks: 309
Thanked 286 Times in 222 Posts
Iirc, member/tech Bart mentioned the PF63, PF63E (e-core) and the PF64 were all ok to use with the PF64 being the "latest/greatest". My '12/'13's were purchased in 2013 from Chevy dealers with the PF48 installed, lol. My son's '16 Limited was purchased last year from a Ford dealer with some unknown generic p.o.s. oil filter installed.
kbz1960 likes this.
sheila is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Iirc, member/tech Bart mentioned the PF63, PF63E (e-core) and the PF64 were all ok to use with the PF64 being the "latest/greatest". My '12/'13's were purchased in 2013 from Chevy dealers with the PF48 installed, lol. My son's '16 Limited was purchased last year from a Ford dealer with some unknown generic p.o.s. oil filter installed.
Thanks. Will get one of those and change it.
kbz1960 is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well after calling GM customer service even they had trouble telling me which filter lol.

Amazon tells me the PF63E doesn't fit my car. GM tells me that's the one I need.

Who would have thought that an oil filter could cause such issues or potentially. Use to be if it was made to and sold to fit your car that was enough. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
kbz1960 is offline  
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,304
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Thanks: 991
Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,775 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the club of "WTF??". I've never owned a car where it was so damn hard to tell which oil filter I needed to use. :-)

In the end, if you sitck with ACDelco and use PF63E, you should be fine. Personally, I've read a lot of bad things about the new "E" (aka "e-core") filters and would rather stay away from them - but finding the correct-spec alternate brand isn't easy. So many places will cross-reference to an oil filter with incorrect bypass ratings. Apparently, GM changed the bypass spec a few years after the car came out, which is why you can't trust cross-reference charts - a lot of them still cross-reference to filters with the old bypass spec.

The original PF63 oil filters had a differernt bypass spec than the newer PF63E filters. PF63E have the "new" correct bypass spec. <sigh>

If you do some searches on the forum for PF63, you'll find some interesting posts and debates on all of this. :-)
kbz1960 likes this.
jtrosky is online now  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Welcome to the club of "WTF??". I've never owned a car where it was so damn hard to tell which oil filter I needed to use. :-)

In the end, if you sitck with ACDelco and use PF63E, you should be fine. Personally, I've read a lot of bad things about the new "E" (aka "e-core") filters and would rather stay away from them - but finding the correct-spec alternate brand isn't easy. So many places will cross-reference to an oil filter with incorrect bypass ratings. Apparently, GM changed the bypass spec a few years after the car came out, which is why you can't trust cross-reference charts - a lot of them still cross-reference to filters with the old bypass spec.

The original PF63 oil filters had a differernt bypass spec than the newer PF63E filters. PF63E have the "new" correct bypass spec.

If you do some searches on the forum for PF63, you'll find some interesting posts and debates on all of this. :-)
LMAO club WTF it is!

And yes I had read about the E ahead of buying a filter so was avoiding that one
kbz1960 is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 21 Hours Ago
Senior Member
 
HOTLAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I have been using the Mobil1 M1-212 but it has recently changed to a M1-212A which according to Mobil1's web site is equivalent to the PF63.
Anyone know if the M1-212A is the one I should be using?

2013 LT
HOTLAP is online now  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 16 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From what I've deducted the PF63E or equivalent to that one is the correct one.

WTF 2013 LT
kbz1960 is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 2 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got the "correct" filter on today. PF63E

The light hasn't come back on since I pulled the battery cable before and hope it doesn't. At least the filter is now the recommended one by GM.

WTF 2013 LT
kbz1960 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a 2013 LT kbz1960 Introductions & Welcome Forum 6 12-05-2018 03:53 PM
2013 Chev Impala LT Fleet pbm1204 Automotive Discussion 4 11-23-2018 05:44 PM
Impala ss rims for my 2013 LT xtremewhite99 Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion 0 04-17-2018 07:57 PM
2013 impala Lt tire pressure sensors xtremewhite99 Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion 25 04-14-2018 04:34 PM
2013 impala Lt factory radio xtremewhite99 Audio, Video, and Electronics 2 04-04-2018 02:06 PM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome