Impala Dash Tapping Fix. - Chevy Impala Forums
Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion W-Body 2006-2013 (2014+ Limited). Discuss all Chevy Impala 8th Generation Performance and Technical Discussion here.

User Tag List

 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter
Member
 
carnau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Impala Dash Tapping Fix.

I'm surprised this isn't in the sticky's as many of these I have replaced. I have a graveyard of bad actuators at the dealership. lol

Here is a video I made on the actuator repair. Hope this helps someone.

https://youtu.be/tn6wqKUz5gI
tonyc712000, jtrosky and sheila like this.

GM Master Technician 20 Years Experience.
Automotive Instructor at Williamsburg College
ASE Certified
My DIY Auto Repair Videos
www.youtube.com/cdarnau
carnau is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carnau For This Useful Post:
retiredpauly (12-01-2017), tonyc712000 (12-01-2017), TSS (11-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
Maven76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Hey Chris, way to use the forum to get clicks on your YT channel

Youre surprised your one day old video with 17 views isnt in the sticky section of a forum you have 7 posts on for a problem thats been around for a decade?

You didnt make a video on actuator repair, you made one on actuator replacement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by YT video
so theres actually 2 actuators in this car
Actually there are 3 or 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT video
one thing you wanna make sure you dont do is plug in the actuator before it all the way bolted down
OR....you could have advised people to remove a fuse or disconnect the negative battery cable, or even just turn off the ignition like best practices would dictate.


Think about how many helpful posts you couldve made in the amount of time it took you make that video for a topic that already has THOUSANDS of videos about it on YT. But I guess forum posts dont get you subscribers, video clicks, or amazon affiliate/store purchases.

GM World Class Technician
Dont be mad at me, I dont work for GM.
Im just here for the cookies
Maven76 is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
Maven76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Now i see that EVERY one of your posts has just been a simple post linking to your own videos, I wasnt digging your post before, now Im considering clicking "report post" on every one of them for violating forum rules.

GM World Class Technician
Dont be mad at me, I dont work for GM.
Im just here for the cookies
Maven76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,431
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,803 Posts
Garage
Wow... He's just trying to help! You can never have *too many* videos - each video may show something other videos don't - or he may have a "trick" or two that helps make things easier.

Your post just seems a little "harsh" being that the guy spent his own time to make a video to try and help others...

And just for the record, I don't think he's asking why *his* post isn't stickied (after all, he mentioned that *in* the post he made - how could it be a "sticky" before he posted it!?) - he was just surprised that there weren't any "sticky" topics on the matter already since it's such a common issue.

Personally, I thank him for the post - and appreciate his efforts!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
tonyc712000 likes this.
jtrosky is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
retiredpauly (12-01-2017), tonyc712000 (12-01-2017), TSS (11-29-2017)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
Maven76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Wow... He's just trying to help! You can never have *too many* videos - each video may show something other videos don't - or he may have a "trick" or two that helps make things easier.
He didnt offer a trick, or any new information, he didnt even have all the facts straight, whether he mispoke or not, theres misinformation in his video.


Quote:
And just for the record, I don't think he's asking why *his* post isn't stickied (after all, he mentioned that *in* the post he made - how could it be a "sticky" before he posted it!?) - he was just surprised that there weren't any "sticky" topics on the matter already since it's such a common issue.
I do think that, I think hes here purely for clicks. And, there actually is a sticky on the subject, in the 8th gen DIY section. Along with myriad threads already that come up with a simple search for "actuator" or "clicking"

Quote:
Personally, I thank him for the post - and appreciate his efforts!
Everyone of his posts contains no information, just a link or embedded version of his own YT channel which is monetized and contains links to his affiliate Amazon product. Theres no altruism or even spirit of community or helping behind his efforts.

GM World Class Technician
Dont be mad at me, I dont work for GM.
Im just here for the cookies
Maven76 is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
2007Imp850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
There's no sticky for the actuators?

Damn I think that would cut down on a lot of the threads that start with "Loud Tapping Noise from dash?" Ha.

I thought there was a sticky for it, and hey, I ran across his video for changing the transmission line fittings and thought it was pretty helpful. I now know that I got stiffed for $150 when the shop did it LOL, I could've changed those fittings myself in about an hour LOL.
2007Imp850 is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,431
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,803 Posts
Garage
Who cares if he's making money from the videos he creates?? It doesn't cost those that view and use the information one penny. The "more the merrier" as far as I'm concerned - I would rather have too many videos than not enough.

Almost no video or procedure is 100% "by the book" or error-free. Obviously, he's replaced more actuators than most of us - and he's just sharing the way that he does it, which obviously works for him.

Should we "object" to Chevy dealerships too because they make a profit from their work? Of course not! I see absolutely no problem with someone making money from the videos that they spend their time creating. If fact, I applaud him for making money from them!

I don't know - I just don't see what the problem is here... We all benefit from the video(s) - we learn and he earns! :-) It's a win-win, IMO!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

EDIT: By the way, I can't seem to find a sticky about the HVAC actuators - if I'm missing something, please post a link to it...

Last edited by jtrosky; 11-29-2017 at 11:26 AM.
jtrosky is online now  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
kd7ctv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Who cares if he's making money from the videos he creates?? It doesn't cost those that view and use the information one penny. The "more the merrier" as far as I'm concerned - I would rather have too many videos than not enough.

Almost no video or procedure is 100% "by the book" or error-free. Obviously, he's replaced more actuators than most of us - and he's just sharing the way that he does it, which obviously works for him.

Should we "object" to Chevy dealerships too because they make a profit from their work? Of course not! I see absolutely no problem with someone making money from the videos that they spend their time creating. If fact, I applaud him for making money from them!

I don't know - I just don't see what the problem is here... We all benefit from the video(s) - we learn and he earns! :-) It's a win-win, IMO!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

EDIT: By the way, I can't seem to find a sticky about the HVAC actuators - if I'm missing something, please post a link to it...
Not that I have a dog in this, but I think what he's(Maven) getting at is that he(Carnau) offers no help on a regular basis just posts his videos. Actual group interaction instead of just hit and run posting of his videos.

Maybe if instead of him throwing videos up and that's it. He actually shared his expertise with the group, like when people are having issues he can answer them to help. Actually participating in the group. I think that's what he's getting at.
kd7ctv is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,431
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,803 Posts
Garage
I get it - but so what if he doesn't normally otherwise participate on the forum?

He's still sharing valuable informational videos with everyone. We don't have "quotas" here where users *have* to participate. He's sharing his informational videos with others (which take a lot of time and effort to create), which is more than a LOT of other members do.

I just don't see the problem with someone posting links to their technical YouTube videos, regardless of whether or not they participate otherwise. I don't see any rules being broken and I only seeing it as being helpful for other members. It certainly isn't hurting anything or anyone! :-)

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
tonyc712000 likes this.
jtrosky is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
retiredpauly (12-01-2017), tonyc712000 (12-01-2017)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
kd7ctv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
I get it - but so what if he doesn't normally otherwise participate on the forum?

He's still sharing valuable informational videos with everyone. We don't have "quotas" here where users *have* to participate. He's sharing his informational videos with others (which take a lot of time and effort to create), which is more than a LOT of other members do.

I just don't see the problem with someone posting links to their technical YouTube videos, regardless of whether or not they participate otherwise. I don't see any rules being broken and I only seeing it as being helpful for other members. It certainly isn't hurting anything or anyone! :-)

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
Right, I see where you're coming from. But I can see where he's coming from as well.

As I said if he actually contributed to the community it might be a different story. But a quick Google search pulls up 19,500 videos on 'actuator replacement impala'. And that's probably included in 445,000 results of everything related to that search. So would it become a problem if everyone started linking their videos and doing nothing else on the forum? So without his video there are lots of other ones out there. And I've watched, or tried to watch his on this. But the incessant clicking that he's trying to talk over but you can't hear him defeats the purpose of his video. There are much better ones out there on it, and none of them have spammed the forum.

And while you might not see any rule violation, what you're doing is setting precedent so if everyone started just posting video links with no forum interaction that it would be okay to do. Do it for one, you have to do it for everyone. Sucks really. And while I respect you, I have to disagree with you on this issue.

As for the 'he's doing more then most'. I don't agree with that. Sure how much time does it take to throw a video together? Not much compared to going through the threads, helping those who need it. Maybe if he was more engaged in the forum, but he's not. 7 videos is nothing in the grand scheme of things around here. Especially when we all have the ability to search videos without this site. We come here for help, conversation and actual engagement when it comes to problems. What we don't come here for is hit and run posts linking to videos because actually engaging the group would be to hard.
kd7ctv is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,431
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,803 Posts
Garage
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :-) I don't mind *anyone* coming and posting a video that is relevant to Impalas! This video will probably be useful to someone in the future. I think it takes considerable effort to put together an instructional video like this (harder than most think) - and I for one am glad for his efforts (just like someone above found one of his other videos useful).

I think that there are WAY more members that don't post *anything* - just use the information on this site if/when needed - at least he is linking to some useful information - which is more than most people do.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and hope more people do it! I just can't see what the problem is. If you find it useful, great. If not, then ignore it.

I would not consider this "spam" in any way, shape or form...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
retiredpauly likes this.
jtrosky is online now  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Senior Member
 
kd7ctv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :-) I don't mind *anyone* coming and posting a video that is relevant to Impalas! This video will probably be useful to someone in the future. I think it takes considerable effort to put together an instructional video like this (harder than most think) - and I for one am glad for his efforts (just like someone above found one of his other videos useful).

I think that there are WAY more members that don't post *anything* - just use the information on this site if/when needed - at least he is linking to some useful information - which is more than most people do.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and hope more people do it! I just can't see what the problem is. If you find it useful, great. If not, then ignore it.

I would not consider this "spam" in any way, shape or form...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
No worries.

Last edited by kd7ctv; 11-29-2017 at 04:13 PM.
kd7ctv is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017 Thread Starter
Member
 
carnau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven76 View Post
Hey Chris, way to use the forum to get clicks on your YT channel

Youre surprised your one day old video with 17 views isnt in the sticky section of a forum you have 7 posts on for a problem thats been around for a decade?

You didnt make a video on actuator repair, you made one on actuator replacement.




Actually there are 3 or 4



OR....you could have advised people to remove a fuse or disconnect the negative battery cable, or even just turn off the ignition like best practices would dictate.


Think about how many helpful posts you couldve made in the amount of time it took you make that video for a topic that already has THOUSANDS of videos about it on YT. But I guess forum posts dont get you subscribers, video clicks, or amazon affiliate/store purchases.
No, I am surprised that there isn't any video on it. Not my video in general. Just any video in the stickies is what I was speaking of.

There are 3 actuators like this actually. There is a mode actuator that is completely different. Also... There are 2 actuators in the car on the passenger side which I was referring to.

Removing the fuse or the battery cable would get the actuator to stop making noise and also not let it to continue working.

Forgive me for trying to help someone by making a video to show them how to replace their faulty actuator.

As far as the number of posts I have posted I just joined this forum in attempts to help people. You started with multiple posts I assume.
tonyc712000 likes this.

GM Master Technician 20 Years Experience.
Automotive Instructor at Williamsburg College
ASE Certified
My DIY Auto Repair Videos
www.youtube.com/cdarnau
carnau is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017 Thread Starter
Member
 
carnau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ctv View Post
Not that I have a dog in this, but I think what he's(Maven) getting at is that he(Carnau) offers no help on a regular basis just posts his videos. Actual group interaction instead of just hit and run posting of his videos.

Maybe if instead of him throwing videos up and that's it. He actually shared his expertise with the group, like when people are having issues he can answer them to help. Actually participating in the group. I think that's what he's getting at.
You are correct. I am new and I normally stick to the GM Trucks forum because that's what I really enjoy doing. But I added this forum to my favorites in order to visit here more often and help.

I have been in a dealership working as a tech for the last 17 year. I have been working on vehicles my whole life.

I have access to schematics and diagrams. I have loads of experience. Maybe I should have posted on here more before posting a video. I just assumed maybe it could help.

GM Master Technician 20 Years Experience.
Automotive Instructor at Williamsburg College
ASE Certified
My DIY Auto Repair Videos
www.youtube.com/cdarnau
carnau is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017 Thread Starter
Member
 
carnau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :-) I don't mind *anyone* coming and posting a video that is relevant to Impalas! This video will probably be useful to someone in the future. I think it takes considerable effort to put together an instructional video like this (harder than most think) - and I for one am glad for his efforts (just like someone above found one of his other videos useful).

I think that there are WAY more members that don't post *anything* - just use the information on this site if/when needed - at least he is linking to some useful information - which is more than most people do.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and hope more people do it! I just can't see what the problem is. If you find it useful, great. If not, then ignore it.

I would not consider this "spam" in any way, shape or form...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk
Thanks, And I will be on here more to help if I can offer it.
tonyc712000, sheila and Tesla like this.

GM Master Technician 20 Years Experience.
Automotive Instructor at Williamsburg College
ASE Certified
My DIY Auto Repair Videos
www.youtube.com/cdarnau
carnau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 impala limited can't get rid of dash warnings sch1308 Audio, Video, and Electronics 1 02-01-2019 10:56 PM
70 impala dash and tail light problem greenimpala Impala 1st - 5th Gen Discussion 0 12-16-2017 02:37 PM
Dash Camera Review TeeRev Audio, Video, and Electronics 3 09-01-2017 10:59 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome