Cooling system flush question, 2003 Impala - Chevy Impala Forums
Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion W-Body 2000-2005. Discuss all Chevy Impala 7th Generation Performance and Technical Discussion here.

User Tag List

 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 1970cs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
My 2003 Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Cooling system flush question, 2003 Impala

I bought a 2003 Impala a week ago, and the radiator is in desperate need of a good flushing and coolant change. How do I go about the flush procedure? I have new coolant, and am going to buy a bottle of radiator flush additive. What else do I need to do? Should thermostat be replaced as well?


Thanks in advance

Last edited by My 2003 Impala; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM.
My 2003 Impala is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
My 2003 Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any thoughts on this??
My 2003 Impala is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,435
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 357 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 2003 Impala View Post
I bought a 2003 Impala a week ago, and the radiator is in desperate need of a good flushing and coolant change. How do I go about the flush procedure? I have new coolant, and am going to buy a bottle of radiator flush additive. What else do I need to do? Should thermostat be replaced as well?


Thanks in advance
Until you know the state of the entire cooling system, I wouldn't put the additive in. If you have a leaking intake gasket or something like that, the additive will end up in the crankcase (and that's not good). You have a 16 year old car - there's a good chance it could have a leak.

Instead of flushing the entire system, check with a radiator shop and see if they can clean yours out. In the old days, they could be boiled out, but not sure that's possible with today's aluminum cores and plastic pans. Regardless, see what a shop has to offer. If it sounds good, you can pull the radiator yourself and take it to them to save a few bucks.

Alternatively, you can install a new radiator as well. You can get one for that year Impala for about 110 bucks at Rockauto.

Once you have the radiator back in it, fill it with 50/50 Dexcool and drive it. See how it does. If you find some leaks, fix them. Intake gaskets are pretty common sources on that vintage Impala.

If there aren't any leaks, in lieu of flushing it out, just drive it a few days, then drain and refill it with new 50/50 Dexcool again. That should get most of the crud out.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.
plano-doug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
My 2003 Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
Until you know the state of the entire cooling system, I wouldn't put the additive in. If you have a leaking intake gasket or something like that, the additive will end up in the crankcase (and that's not good). You have a 16 year old car - there's a good chance it could have a leak.

Instead of flushing the entire system, check with a radiator shop and see if they can clean yours out. In the old days, they could be boiled out, but not sure that's possible with today's aluminum cores and plastic pans. Regardless, see what a shop has to offer. If it sounds good, you can pull the radiator yourself and take it to them to save a few bucks.

Alternatively, you can install a new radiator as well. You can get one for that year Impala for about 110 bucks at Rockauto.

Once you have the radiator back in it, fill it with 50/50 Dexcool and drive it. See how it does. If you find some leaks, fix them. Intake gaskets are pretty common sources on that vintage Impala.

If there aren't any leaks, in lieu of flushing it out, just drive it a few days, then drain and refill it with new 50/50 Dexcool again. That should get most of the crud out.

HTH.

Doug

.

Has no leaks whatsoever, I have put some miles on it and coolant level has not gone down. Not overheating, the coolant just looks tired and dirty, I could just flush out radiator with clean water,, but my other question, is how do I get the old coolant drained out of the block, is there a block drain plug on the 3.4?
My 2003 Impala is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
1970cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via MSN to 1970cs
You may have to run water a couple of times through the system. Drain and refill, I also recommend using distilled water. And use a concentrate or 100% coolant to get the right balance for the system. Which you should be running around -25 to 30 degrees with a coolant checker.

Pat
plano-doug and sheila like this.
1970cs is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,435
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 357 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 2003 Impala View Post
Has no leaks whatsoever, I have put some miles on it and coolant level has not gone down. Not overheating, the coolant just looks tired and dirty, I could just flush out radiator with clean water,, but my other question, is how do I get the old coolant drained out of the block, is there a block drain plug on the 3.4?
That's good that it has no leaks.

If you wanted to blast a garden hose into the system to clean it out - which I've considered but never done - you would need to remove the thermostat, which is a bit of a pain on the 3.4. What I had envisioned was to disconnect the two radiator hoses (from the radiator), and shoot the garden hose into the top radiator hose and let the bottom one drain on the ground. I'm not sure what all that implies - does the engine need to be running so the water pump is turning? - or whether it will be very effective.

For sure, you do not want to directly connect the garden hose to the system - ie, you do not want a sealed connection. Tap pressure is much greater than the system is designed for, on the order of 100 psi versus 20. It can do a lot of damage.

I tend to favor just draining, filling, and running the engine, then repeat. Doing that 2 or 3 times will get most of the old stuff out, enough to not worry about the little bit that's left.

The first or second cycle would include the cleaning/flushing additive. The additive instructions may call for several water-only flushings afterward, so that will determine how many cycles total.

Regarding draining, I would just pull the bottom hose to drain it. You can try the petcock on the radiator, but I've become cynical about those silly things - seems like they start leaking after they've been opened and reclosed once That is, I end up chasing that for a while and have to put a new petcock in. Which makes removing the hose more appealing

[Edit]Thinking about this some more, it occurs to me that the upper radiator hose flows _from_ the engine _to_ the radiator, so blasting the garden hose into it (as described above) would be backwards with respect to normal flow. So if the water pump was turning, that might be an issue.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.

Last edited by plano-doug; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:30 AM.
plano-doug is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
My 2003 Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
That's good that it has no leaks.

If you wanted to blast a garden hose into the system to clean it out - which I've considered but never done - you would need to remove the thermostat, which is a bit of a pain on the 3.4. What I had envisioned was to disconnect the two radiator hoses (from the radiator), and shoot the garden hose into the top radiator hose and let the bottom one drain on the ground. I'm not sure what all that implies - does the engine need to be running so the water pump is turning? - or whether it will be very effective.

For sure, you do not want to directly connect the garden hose to the system - ie, you do not want a sealed connection. Tap pressure is much greater than the system is designed for, on the order of 100 psi versus 20. It can do a lot of damage.

I tend to favor just draining, filling, and running the engine, then repeat. Doing that 2 or 3 times will get most of the old stuff out, enough to not worry about the little bit that's left.

The first or second cycle would include the cleaning/flushing additive. The additive instructions may call for several water-only flushings afterward, so that will determine how many cycles total.

Regarding draining, I would just pull the bottom hose to drain it. You can try the petcock on the radiator, but I've become cynical about those silly things - seems like they start leaking after they've been opened and reclosed once That is, I end up chasing that for a while and have to put a new petcock in. Which makes removing the hose more appealing

[Edit]Thinking about this some more, it occurs to me that the upper radiator hose flows _from_ the engine _to_ the radiator, so blasting the garden hose into it (as described above) would be backwards with respect to normal flow. So if the water pump was turning, that might be an issue.

HTH.

Doug

.

So pulling off the lower hose will drain out the radiator, but what about what's left in the block?
My 2003 Impala is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,435
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 357 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 2003 Impala View Post
So pulling off the lower hose will drain out the radiator, but what about what's left in the block?
You could disassemble the engine, and that would get it all out But nobody's gonna do that. You could pull the freeze plugs and get a lot out that way, too. But that's not appealing either.

After that, you might try blasting fresh water into it with the garden hose, but, while it may force out the old stuff, it will leave new water in its place.

Another thought is to hook up an air hose to blow everything out, but that presents two problems. You risk over pressuring the system (designed for 15psi operation), and you may have a hard time pushing the water with air. For example, if water is standing in a low spot and air can pass over it, the air may just move on thru without pushing out the liquid.

The most effective way of doing it is what's been discussed - drain and fill multiple times. Each time a little will be left behind, but it gets diluted with the next fill. Follow the instructions on the flush additive label and you should be fine.

Also, as 1970cs noted, you will want to use distilled water, at least on the last couple passes.

Doug

.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.
plano-doug is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
My 2003 Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks. Sounds like a messy job ahead!
My 2003 Impala is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,581
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Thanks: 311
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
^ Easy peasy, lol! Out with the old, in with the new!
sheila is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome