Join Date: Nov 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 08 impala with the 3.5L engine...
So the other night i was idling the car to to run the block heater and notice there was no hot air coming out, despite the engine being at normal temperature. So I checked the coolant reservoir and it was empty(and I can't remember the last time I checked it). I do hear a running water sound going threw the block heater(even when its turned off). for the last 4-5 months...
as it is...
1. The engine is not overheating what so ever, and is running at normal temperature
2. I can't see any viable signs of leaks..
3. I took the rad cap off, and turned the engine on, I could see coolant running threw the system and it was coming up to the top of the cap.(there were a lot of air bubbles in it, but then went away after a few seconds, this probably the reason why i'm hearing running water)
4. I have checked the oil for signs of anti-freeze, but can't see any
5.There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust, but only during a cold start, goes away after the engine warms up.
6. this is the strange part... I topped up the coolant reservoir, and then checked it after I have driven to work(45 minute drive). and it only dropped a little bit below the full-cold line. I then checked it 3 hours later when the engine had cool, and it was empty... When I checked the level after I have gotten home, there was coolant again in the reservoir and when I just checked it(an hour after I got home) its empty again...
What I think it is...
-A bad radiator cap
-A Crack in the head gasket(I’m going to check the spark plugs on the weekend)
-A Blockage in the system somwhere(I Noticed a few specs of dirt in the reservoir)
-Something wrong with the block heater, I did not run the block heater today while driving, but I did run it while idling to see if hot air would come out(which it seems to work fine now)
-Water pump(maybe, but very unlikely)