Impala keeps dying - Chevy Impala Forums
Autocare and Maintenance Auto detailing, care, and maintenance.

User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
adamjblm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impala keeps dying

Hi guys. New to this forum here. I have a 2001 impala 3.4 and the battery keeps dying on me. I bought a brand new battery, alternator, and starter for it. I checked the ground that is on the transmission and it looks good. Every time I start it up itíll drive for about 30 minutes tops and then it dies. First all the electronics then the car itself. The car then charges back up and I can turn it back on after a little bit of time. Battery light is on on my dashboard if that helps any. This is my only car and I can not afford to buy a new one. Anybody know why my car keeps dying?
adamjblm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017
Senior Member
 
04Imp38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Garage
Sounds like a parasitic draw on the battery.
Do you have a multimeter to check voltage?


~Joe~

04 Impala LS

Engine: ZZP PCM, ZZP Downpipe, Xcelerator Resonator, Dual Xcelerator Mufflers, 4" Stainless tips, 180į t-stat, Shorter Dogbones, Mount Spacers, Optima Red Top Battery
Trans/Drivetrain: TransGo shift kit + preloaded accumulator
Suspension: BC Racing coilovers, Police LCAs, Police Rotors and Pads, Boxed trailing arms, Dorman front solid sway bar
Exterior: LED Headlights, Red LED license plate lights and side markers
Interior:
Blue LED cluster+HVAC+door switches, LED interior
04Imp38 is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
adamjblm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Imp38 View Post
Sounds like a parasitic draw on the battery.
Do you have a multimeter to check voltage?
No I donít, but if I get one how do I use it? Or should I just take it to a mechanic have and them do it?
adamjblm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017
Senior Member
 
04Imp38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjblm View Post
No I donít, but if I get one how do I use it? Or should I just take it to a mechanic have and them do it?


The more work you can do/learn to do on your own will save you a lot of money. YouTube is your friend here. Look up ďHow to find a parasitic draw on car batteryĒ and multiple results will show up.
Least expensive will be a harbor freight multimeter. If you have a coupon you can get it free with the purchase of something else.
Easiest to test with two people: put the probes on the battery terminals. While someone watches the battery voltage, the other person pulls the fuses and reinstalls them one by one on either side of the front doors. If there is a voltage increase when the fuse is pulled, that is a draw on the battery. Of course if the interior lights are on and that fuse is pulled, it will show a draw so keep that in mind.
The instrument panels/cluster sometimes has a parasitic draw on the battery when off. I donít know of any other common problems in this area.


~Joe~

04 Impala LS

Engine: ZZP PCM, ZZP Downpipe, Xcelerator Resonator, Dual Xcelerator Mufflers, 4" Stainless tips, 180į t-stat, Shorter Dogbones, Mount Spacers, Optima Red Top Battery
Trans/Drivetrain: TransGo shift kit + preloaded accumulator
Suspension: BC Racing coilovers, Police LCAs, Police Rotors and Pads, Boxed trailing arms, Dorman front solid sway bar
Exterior: LED Headlights, Red LED license plate lights and side markers
Interior:
Blue LED cluster+HVAC+door switches, LED interior
04Imp38 is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017
Senior Member
 
04Imp38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Garage
Also have you installed the alternator?


~Joe~

04 Impala LS

Engine: ZZP PCM, ZZP Downpipe, Xcelerator Resonator, Dual Xcelerator Mufflers, 4" Stainless tips, 180į t-stat, Shorter Dogbones, Mount Spacers, Optima Red Top Battery
Trans/Drivetrain: TransGo shift kit + preloaded accumulator
Suspension: BC Racing coilovers, Police LCAs, Police Rotors and Pads, Boxed trailing arms, Dorman front solid sway bar
Exterior: LED Headlights, Red LED license plate lights and side markers
Interior:
Blue LED cluster+HVAC+door switches, LED interior
04Imp38 is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
adamjblm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I did the alternator myself. I did everything myself with the help of my father and grandfather.
plano-doug likes this.
adamjblm is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017
Senior Member
 
Bill58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
Get a cheap volt meter and check engine running battery voltage, it should be around 14 volts. Or Advance Auto will walk to parking lot and test your battery/charging system free. Sounds like you battery isn't charging.
Bill58 is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
adamjblm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
Get a cheap volt meter and check engine running battery voltage, it should be around 14 volts. Or Advance Auto will walk to parking lot and test your battery/charging system free. Sounds like you battery isn't charging.
What confuses me is that when it dies I can go outside about an hour later and start it so itís charging somehow.
adamjblm is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017
Senior Member
 
Bill58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjblm View Post
What confuses me is that when it dies I can go outside about an hour later and start it so itís charging somehow.
A battery will rebound a little bit but it won't last long. Check your engine running voltage. A cheap volt meter is about $10.
Bill58 is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017
Senior Member
 
1970cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via MSN to 1970cs
Is it possible you got a bad alternator out of the box? As others have said, get it checked out to see if you have out put voltage. I would suspect the answer to be no. Given that battery light and runs out of juice when driving around.

Pat
1970cs is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017
Senior Member
 
Dave_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Thanks: 619
Thanked 231 Times in 212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
Is it possible you got a bad alternator out of the box? As others have said, get it checked out to see if you have out put voltage. I would suspect the answer to be no. Given that battery light and runs out of juice when driving around. Pat

I agree, it sounds like a bad alternator, since it dies while driving. It seems like the alternator is not recharging your new battery. A bad alternator can kill a good battery.

2006 Impala LTZ/SS 3.9 L V6
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
5 Piece Billet Aluminum Grille, Chrome Side Pillars
General Tire Altimax RT43 Tires
K&N High Flow Air Filter with modified airbox
Monroe Quick Struts, 35% Window Tints
GM Strut Tower Brace Bars and Don Rome Brackets
Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Mud Flaps
Chrome Licence Plate Protectors, SS Badges
Motomaster Eliminator Battery (925 CCA)
Wagner Rotors and Monroe ceramic pads
5" Android Smart Mirror
Overkill Engine Tune!
Dave_N is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017
Senior Member
 
reubenswinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
I disagree with most here. I do not think this is the alternator. If the alternator was not working, and the battery got drained enough that it died while driving, it makes no sense that the battery somehow recharges itself magically while the car is off, enough that it can be started again. I guess some more information is required about what you mean when you say "The car then charges back up and I can turn it back on after a little bit of time." Are you charging it with a battery charger? Or does the battery just seem to have a charge on its own.

Have you checked that your battery terminals are tight and clean? Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. When things got hot, they expand and lose connection. When the engine compartment cools down, they are tight enough that you have connection again. I see you checked one ground on the tranny, but you should check the others. There is usually a main one that goes to the chassis somewhere. Take the bolt off and clean the terminals...looking for corrosion.
TeeRev likes this.
reubenswinks is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
adamjblm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenswinks View Post
I disagree with most here. I do not think this is the alternator. If the alternator was not working, and the battery got drained enough that it died while driving, it makes no sense that the battery somehow recharges itself magically while the car is off, enough that it can be started again. I guess some more information is required about what you mean when you say "The car then charges back up and I can turn it back on after a little bit of time." Are you charging it with a battery charger? Or does the battery just seem to have a charge on its own.

Have you checked that your battery terminals are tight and clean? Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. When things got hot, they expand and lose connection. When the engine compartment cools down, they are tight enough that you have connection again. I see you checked one ground on the tranny, but you should check the others. There is usually a main one that goes to the chassis somewhere. Take the bolt off and clean the terminals...looking for corrosion.
No I didnít charge it. It just charges itself. Iíll go out tomorrow and check for more grounds. The wire that plugs into the alternator was bare and I think thatís what killed my charging system the first time, so my grandfather cut the wire and put it back together and put rubber on it. Could it be that wire? Maybe I just need to replace it? I donít know what to do.
adamjblm is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017
Senior Member
 
04Imp38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Garage
Maybe send some pics so we can see what you are describing.


~Joe~

04 Impala LS

Engine: ZZP PCM, ZZP Downpipe, Xcelerator Resonator, Dual Xcelerator Mufflers, 4" Stainless tips, 180į t-stat, Shorter Dogbones, Mount Spacers, Optima Red Top Battery
Trans/Drivetrain: TransGo shift kit + preloaded accumulator
Suspension: BC Racing coilovers, Police LCAs, Police Rotors and Pads, Boxed trailing arms, Dorman front solid sway bar
Exterior: LED Headlights, Red LED license plate lights and side markers
Interior:
Blue LED cluster+HVAC+door switches, LED interior
04Imp38 is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017
Senior Member
 
1970cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via MSN to 1970cs
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjblm View Post
No I didnít charge it. It just charges itself. Iíll go out tomorrow and check for more grounds. The wire that plugs into the alternator was bare and I think thatís what killed my charging system the first time, so my grandfather cut the wire and put it back together and put rubber on it. Could it be that wire? Maybe I just need to replace it? I donít know what to do.
Ah more to the story! VOM and check the voltage with the key on. One wire should be excitation voltage which is lower than battery and the other is voltage sensing. No voltage should show until unit is plugged in and the alternator is charging on the sensing wire.

Pat
1970cs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the Key fobs on the 9th gen Impala FAWAZ87 Chevy Impala 9th Gen Discussion 9 05-04-2019 07:58 AM
New Impala Owner 2016 Limited chrisdaboss Introductions & Welcome Forum 15 11-12-2017 06:56 AM
Do the 2018 Impala Premier 2LZ got Automatic Park assist like the 2016 and up Malibu? FAWAZ87 Chevy Impala 9th Gen Discussion 7 10-23-2017 01:03 PM
2015 Impala Limited LT Steering Wheel Controls bcallahan Audio, Video, and Electronics 0 09-19-2017 08:16 AM
2000-2005 Impala Reliability? Rager Automotive Discussion 2 09-04-2017 07:22 PM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome