Impala 3.5L with Check Engine light and rough shifting - Chevy Impala Forums
8th Gen Drivetrain Transmissions, clutches, and axles.

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sidemouse
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RShea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Impala 3.5L with Check Engine light and rough shifting

So 06 Impala with now 178K miles on it. Last week it threw up 2 CEL codes P0700 and P0974 errors. The car went into limp mode. No cruise control and some higher than normal RPM. The fluid it up and does not appear to be super dirty (but probably has not been changed in 60K or more miles either.

If I manually go through the gears- second is pretty rough shift. Going by this article: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/15/...-circuit-high/ if it is the solenoid A, then the shop is recommending doing all the solenoids at the same time.

I of course have read through a number of the transmission threads already but not many of them mention the actual codes, just that they had various issues.

As a side note- if the transmission has to be dropped, then I will also have the small oil pan leak done at the same time, since the way I understand it the Trans covers part of the pan access and you either need to jack the engine or take the transmission out of the way??
RShea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,466
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 359 Times in 335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShea View Post
As a side note- if the transmission has to be dropped, then I will also have the small oil pan leak done at the same time, since the way I understand it the Trans covers part of the pan access and you either need to jack the engine or take the transmission out of the way??
Both as I recall. But that was on the 3.4 altho I would expect it to be the same for the 3.5.

For oil pan work, you usually have to jack up the engine off the subframe a few inches on the passenger end, and separate but not remove the transmission from the engine block. The latter part is done by removing the torque converter bolts and loosening the bell housing bolts to allow a gap of -⅜" between them.

That's all moot since they will be removing the transmission. And for that, they will be dropping the subframe, so doing the oil pan ought to be pretty easy at that point.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.
plano-doug is online now  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RShea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So the transmission pan was dropped today and the bad news was there were some metal shavings and debris in the pan. So looks like it is not just seleniods at all and needs more than that. So probably start looking for a newer 8th generation Impala...
RShea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2019
Senior Member
 
Joes74challenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 122 Times in 118 Posts
Garage
2012's and newer are coming down in prices nicely if you're wanting a cheap replacement. i see on the facebook selling pages they are around 6-9 grand all day long in Fort Wayne. of course you want to have it inspected to see if they can find any hidden issues.
Joes74challenger is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2019
Member
 
sidemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShea View Post
So the transmission pan was dropped today and the bad news was there were some metal shavings and debris in the pan. So looks like it is not just seleniods at all and needs more than that. So probably start looking for a newer 8th generation Impala...
Meh...
You took it to a transmission shop and that's fine but them folks will freak over anything too, not to say there may not be serious issues... And I certainly would start saving money just in case but I've driven cars with transmissions that every year I did the trans fluid & filter change (DIY every 10k) there were shavings in the pan, you haven't had the trans fluid changed in 60k plus so that's really not a big surprise to me...

I keep up on the trans & filter changes, mostly because it's so darned expensive to fix but shavings, I've driven cars with shavings for 4-5 years before... No, it won't last forever but it may go on for some time yet. Personally I would drive it but keep up on the fluid and filter changes, assuming you had it fully flushed you can probably go 20k now... Depends what you want, I'd definitely start saving for the next car but you may still have some time.
hatzie likes this.
sidemouse is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RShea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidemouse View Post
Meh...
You took it to a transmission shop and that's fine but them folks will freak over anything too, not to say there may not be serious issues... And I certainly would start saving money just in case but I've driven cars with transmissions that every year I did the trans fluid & filter change (DIY every 10k) there were shavings in the pan, you haven't had the trans fluid changed in 60k plus so that's really not a big surprise to me...

I keep up on the trans & filter changes, mostly because it's so darned expensive to fix but shavings, I've driven cars with shavings for 4-5 years before... No, it won't last forever but it may go on for some time yet. Personally I would drive it but keep up on the fluid and filter changes, assuming you had it fully flushed you can probably go 20k now... Depends what you want, I'd definitely start saving for the next car but you may still have some time.
I did not take it to a transmission shop, but to my regular mechanic. Definitely a long list of issues that point to more than what you are saying- clucking and noise if you manually shift into and out of 2nd gear. The CEL 2 error codes I posted, gas mileage now about 3 or 4 mpg lower than I ever got on the vehicle. Slow pick up and starts when you press on the accelerator. Now the cruise control will not engage at all.
RShea is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019
Senior Member
 
hatzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baker River Valley, NH
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Thanks: 81
Thanked 147 Times in 129 Posts
178,000 miles is a long haul for the 4T65E. Clunking and sliding into gear is a bad sign.
The TEP Basic V6 4T65E rebuild is just under $2,000 for a transmission that will run a lot more miles. https://www.tripleedgeperformance.co..._to_Basix.html

A film of glittery sludge in the pan isn't as much to worry about as you might think. 1/8" to 1/4" of gray sludge is not a good sign but a glittery film with a furry gray covered magnet is normal. These units have a multilink silent drive chain and it tends to shed a lot of fine iron particles. This iron is the stuff that makes trouble with the control solenoids and stresses the transmission.

I'd put a Magnefine filter in the trans cooler return line when you install the replacement transmission. Dave no doubt installs the upgraded pan magnets.

2009 Impala SS
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
hatzie is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2019
Member
 
sidemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShea View Post
I did not take it to a transmission shop, but to my regular mechanic. Definitely a long list of issues that point to more than what you are saying- clucking and noise if you manually shift into and out of 2nd gear. The CEL 2 error codes I posted, gas mileage now about 3 or 4 mpg lower than I ever got on the vehicle. Slow pick up and starts when you press on the accelerator. Now the cruise control will not engage at all.
mk...
Yeah I learned somewhere in my late teens to early twenties (after a good 3-4 rebuilds and replacements) not to EVER manually shift an automatic.
And some folks will tell you it's fine but then they're not the ones paying for the repairs, as I was told to put it in Drive and leave it there.
Only time an automatic needs to come out of drive is for it to go into Park and/or Reverse, and to come to a full stop before moving that lever.

Like I said it took several rebuilds before I learned, maybe in your case you can also get a used transmission put in, back in my days it used to cost $300-$700 between a used and a rebuild parts and labor...
I've heard prices have gone up but I think you can still get a used one put in for about a thousand, fortunately I took my lessons seriously at some point, haven't had to replace or rebuild one in a good long time.

You need to keep up on fluid and filter changes as well.
I was told that, too.
That one took a little longer to sink in than "don't shift it manually."
I believe I started changing fluid and filters in my 30's sometime, every 10,000 miles.
sidemouse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome