Impala Forums banner

Chirping sound when going over bumps

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HERD546 
#1 ·
Im hoping to understand what the chirping sound is when my rear shocks compress going over bumps. Its definitley the rears. All four shocks have been replaced in the last 200 miles. Car has been aligned. Could this be worn out springs? Body bushings? No driveability issues whatsoever.

The only thing to note is that the rear tires on my 15x7s are pretty big... i think they are 275/65/15s IIRC. Could they be rubbing on the wells as the shocks compress?

This is on my 92 Custom Crusier

#2 ·
As long as everything feels normal, sounds like bushings to me. Sometimes they will squeak or chirp. My LTZ has a "rushing air" sound to the shocks when I go over speed bumps or something large like that. Don't hear it any other time. I'm guessing it's just the pressure release of the stock shocks. Plan on upgrading to Bilsteins at some point, but it does bug me now...

#3 ·
Did you put any polyurethane bushings on the car. I have the Hotchkis sway bars with the polyurethane bushings and they chirp.. Maybe they changed the end links on your sway bar. When they changed your shocks..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.