Impala Forums banner

about to do quad tail lights :D

25K views 156 replies 19 participants last post by  g25racer 
#1 ·
i found an article on BBEngineering. they say to use an acrylic bowl and stuff like that. but what i did was found 2 cheap tail light assemblies with harnesses on ebay and bought them. im gonna cut that bowl out and use that to make it more of a uniform look cus ive noticed how when people do that mod the center 2 lights look brighter than the outer. this bugs me.

i know there is a way to make the 2 new lights into turn signals and do the progressive turn signals. (like the newer mustangs and some older cars) i know they sell the 3 light ones but i only of course just wanna use 2. is there a part for that? or do i have to make something?

im also gonna try and keep the reverse lights in the same spot also.

ill keep yall posted. im pretty excited about it haha

#6 ·
check out webelectric they make kits for 2 bulbs thru 4 bulbs.

#8 ·
i went on ebay and found 2 tail light assemblies (fairly cheap considering it was ebay. but u could g2 a local salvage yard and look around) and then im going to use a drumel to cut the light housing off of those assemblies i purchased. then on the center taillight piece (the piece that holds the reverse lights) use a drumel again to cut out the circlular reflector (dummy light as i like to call it) around the reverse light. then on that part im going to drumel off the dome piece that holds the reverse light. ill glue that n place where the white circle is on the center taillight piece with some plastic epoxy. and probly find some other way to hold it n place to. and then drill a whole in the new light bowl to run the wires straight back thru a grommet. i may have to modify the harness that goes to the reverse light. hope not *knock on wood*. then use plastic epoxy to hold the new light bowl n place. and put it all back together.

i got the majority of the ideas from here: Impala Quad Tailight Mods

i dont want to spring $40 for a drumel so im going to buy the drumel bits and us them on my drill. hope it works. :hope:

also im replacing all the incandescent bulbs with led bubls so i wont have to worry about them goin out and having to mess with ne of it again. i also plan on sound deadening my drunk. so the space behind where the center taillight assembly sits is goin to be filled with poly fill (or covered by a sheet of metal depending on how much work i feel like doin when i get around to it) and covered with a dynamat like material i got at lowes for a fraction of the price :yahoo:

check out webelectric they make kits for 2 bulbs thru 4 bulbs.
thanks ill check it out.

#10 ·
the drill may not be fast enough to make a clean cut, try on an area that you will not be using first.

#13 ·
#16 ·
i got ahold of the ppl and they said they mustve made an inventory error. theyre sending me the right one.

and oh my bad. i was just goin by what ive heard ppl pronounce it as lol. but its a 2003

#18 ·
just fyi y'all. if u want to replace your turn signal bulbs with led bulbs. the front ones are 3157. whole the rears are 3057. ive had to return about 3 sets of leds due to that and other issues that i had before i found the right set.

#19 ·
finally got a dremel! bday present lol. so far i have one tail light cup removed. workin on the 2nd one. probly goin to use a good epoxy to hold it to the center piece. running the wires will b fun but im pretty good at that so thisll b fun!

#20 ·
Look forward to seeing the finished result! Also, pics of the process!

#21 ·
i got the 2 reflective cups cut out. just need to run the wires and cut the center piece. sadly i wont have time to do that until xmas break. damn these finals! lol

Attachments

#22 ·
looking good

#23 ·
I hear ya on the finals man, I can't wait to be done. As soon as I am, I'm doing my stereo, lighting, and a few other things I've waited on in a matter of a day or 2. Good luck on your tests!

#25 ·
Well its sorta hard to tell. When I got the car, the resonator had a hole in it. It does sound good when I hit the gas, better than my friends impala with the stock resonator. Both have the 3.8

#26 ·
ok cool cus wednesday im goin to an exhaust place ran by the coolest old guy ever! (next to my gpa) and hes doin the res delete for me. i keep tellin him he can put a straight piece of pipe and put the o2 sensor sideways but he keeps arguing with me. we'll c when the cars up on the lift lol ;)

#27 ·
Yeah I didn't relocate my o2 sensor, so there's still the restricted area in the exhaust. The res delete gives a subtle difference in the exhaust note. It won't be loud by any means, but does sound a bit more aggressive. Once I get a CAI in, I think the difference will be more noticeable

#28 ·
now that im in the land of wifi! aka college. i can upload pics of the mod. ill try to keep the pic sizes down.

pretty damn excited ngl lol and i kept my reverse lights! theyre not as cool lookin as they were cus i replaced them with some bright white leds.

i replaced all the turn brake and running lights with led bulbs. the turn and brake signal wire only sends 9v to the bulb so ill have to wire up a couple relays to make it 12v because the dif from runnin light to brake/turn signal is very minute.

next step is sequential but that wont b till summer.

#30 ·
:worthless_thread:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.