Impala Forums banner

2014+ impala Bose stereo system bypass and upgrade

28K views 60 replies 12 participants last post by  Andrew bapp 
#1 ·
Hello all,

It seems there's not a lot of information on the web about upgrading the stereo system in these cars. Until recently there were really no options other than tapping into existing after amp wires to do anything. However I thought I'd share some part numbers and descriptors to help you guys out who may be looking. And make some suggestions, fair warning though, any stereo upgrading will be costly because of the unique devices needed to make it sound good. so here it goes.

To those who want to upgrade the stereo head unit they do now make a kit for our cars, Locating one on the other hand will be tough as they are not available online as you will have to go to a local car audio shop to order one, same goes for amp bypass wiring.

You can view the kits available by going to Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse and simply punch in your year and model of car.

I personally have the bose centerpoint system, and actually really like the scrolling up screen so keeping the head unit stock is cool with me. So in my situation, I wanted to upgrade the mids highs and add bass. Go with the metra kit, AX-DSP-MOST1, this bypasses the factory amplifier all together and gives you RCA's to plug amps into. It also comes with a dsp (digital signal processor) so you can do time alignment and a nice EQ for tweeking the mids and highs.

I just requested to order one of these so in the mean time i tapped into the woofers in the trunk and used that for bass signal to run my subs. I used an audio control LC7i line driver adaptor to convert to RCA'S and it works like a charm (considering im using an amplified line)

JUST MAKE SURE if you go this route, that you are getting a Bass signal off the speakers you are tapping, the rear deck speakers i found to be the best for this. However there are 2 sets of wires running into these stock rear deck speakers, you need to tap into the bottom wires, the top ones produce mids/high sound and you wont get any good bass from there.

I ran a 1/0 awg wire OFC (OXYGEN FREE COPPER) for powering my amplifier, (rockford fosgate 2500 bd cp), Powering 2-t1 12" subs, the car sounds great with just this upgrade alone

I also made a power remote turn on wire for my line driver and amp, you can tap into the fuse panel on the left side of the steering wheel located behind the little compartment door, I used a 'mini fuse circuit tap' and was able to pull an ac turn on wire from there.

Most all of the factory tapping stuff, other than the remote on wire, is in the trunk, if you need to locate the factory amplifier, its on the passenger side behind the carpet, all the way against the body wall, its silver, and has a green plug and black plug into it. I have tested these lines and have found out what they are, i have a diagram too if someone wants it.

Hope this helps

See less See more
#2 ·
Curious, you still on the stock alt with the big 3?

I'm currently running ~1800wrms (kappa K4, T1000-1 bdcp) with stock electrical up front and, surprisingly, no dimming whatsoever yet. Going to run my big 3 once it warms up a bit here and possibly get an alt too if I need it

#3 ·
Yes i am for now, but my amp is so powerful when i really turn it up the dimming still occurs. I found a 370 amp alternator online for $699 that will put out over 250 amps at idle. but the big 3 help IMMENSELY for sure!!

You can see photos of my stuff in my garage (click on my avatar photo to see)

#4 ·
OK!!! so after a ton of digging I found this, REALLY damn expensive but only thing currently available. I'm going to wait for the metra piece to come out. but you guys that cannot wait here ya go

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT838/m650-gm.html ($850 OUCH!!)

this will bypass your factory amplifier and you can get clean signal to your aftermarket stuff

#6 ·
I have the mylink system 8” scene so I’m in a better position to keep my HU. As for you, I’d look at the pioneer 7201 or 8201 nex model if your looking to change up. They have the ability to adapt to your heating controls within the vehicle. Not sure what interfaces u would need.

But I also don’t think the heater controls are ‘ran’ thur the radio, just displayed, the dials I believe work all that below.

I guess to test it. Pull the stereo and unhook it, then fire up the car and turn on your heater controls. If they work. NO PROBLEM then!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It’s been released!!!

AX-DSP-MOST1 from metra

Which is $450 cheaper than the nav tv unit.

For a refresher. This will completely bypass the factory amp, and give you a clean full range signal for running aftermarket amplifiers.

Mine’s been ordered. I will post pics/vids when I have installed and upgraded and how to use it. And give a review.

Reactions: nickwingnut13
#10 ·
I'll be anxiously waiting lol. My commute for work is about to get 2-3x longer and I NEED a clean signal. This 4 inch radio is very dirty! (not in a good way)

#9 ·
For those not into car audio it does look that way. But it is a great piece for us that are upgrading everything and keeping the stock head unit.

#12 ·
Possibly? I can take a look tomorrow, but it had the most basic audio package I know that for sure (6 speakers; 1 for each door and 2 in front dash) . So definitely going to be a bit different than yours, but hopefully still be compatible.

Pretty sure I've almost completely bypassed the amp as it is, if not completely, so fingers crossed..

#13 ·
I’m not familiar with your layout, but if I had that cheesy set up, I’d replace the radio all together lol

#14 ·
Sorry that was rude to say, but I would look into radio replacement.

Metra has a kit coming out soon for your dash

Part number 99-3024B is the part number

My friend that owns an audio shop said end of this month is when it’s to be released.

If u go that route u won’t need the dsp unit

#15 ·
Yeah I honestly might go that route. Like I said, the signal from this thing is DIRTY, it distorts at about 60% of volume. Getting anxious to jump on something here in a few weeks as I'm going to have to double or triple my commute time and I want to enjoy it

#16 ·
I just went onto google and punched in that part # for the stereo kit, it seems it is available.

I don’t know about wiring harness or steering wheel control compatibility.
And if u have a backup cam make sure to get the parts to make that all work too

I have the mylink set up 8” screen and nav/w Apple car play, and really like how that all works. So the dsp route for me is what in going to do.

#18 ·
You're telling me... I had all my stuff installed originally by a shop and the guy completely F-ed me; so I've literally redone EVERYTHING myself besides the (post-?) amp pin-out that feeds my dsp (I'll check it again tomorrow).

Had to learn the hard way, but I know my stuff for the most part now

#19 ·
Well don’t be afraid to ask if u have a question bud.

This bypass that’s coming out is supposed to eliminate a ton of the install headaches on our cars. I was going to go with summing the after amp signal but found out these were coming out so I have been hanging tight.

Do u have photos of your install?? And what you’re using??

#20 ·
Just got done tearing the dash down and putting it back together... The climate controls still work without the radio!

My Metra dash kit came in today too so I went ahead and just put the majority of it in while I was at it.

My radio comes in tomorrow (Kenwood double din), but I'm still on the fence about what kit I'm going to go with. Most likely the PAC RP5-GM51 cause it's cheaper than the Axxess one, but I will make up my mind tomorrow. Probably overnight it from crutchfield, or try to find it locally so I can have it in by the weekend and finally enjoy some clean sounds.

I'll also update with some build pics once I'm done!

#23 ·
Hey there, I have obtained the integration piece but slowly plugging away at the system before I install that. Right now I’m building a monster subwoofer set up. I’ll attach some photos. Making everything custom.

#29 ·
No touch screen, was stuck with the ugly 4.2 inch radio before.

And whatever settings were set on the OEM radio before are there to stay now (not that there were even many settings to begin with on the 4 inch radios; pretty much the only things available to mess with were lights and door settings upon key fob unlock/lock, that's about it)

#30 ·

Finally got around to upgrading the alternator

It was a bigger pain than expected (you have to pull the engine mount to get to the serpentine belt tensioner).

Took a couple hours to do.

Here’s what I went with

Mechman elite 320amp alternator

Smaller serpentine belt (3/4” shorter than stock)

The pulley on the new alternator is smaller (hence making it spin faster).

I haven’t been able to test it with my subwoofer set up yet. I removed the subwoofer and amplifier temporarily so I can start sound deadening the car completely. And build a nice amplifier rack for my 2 amps.

More to come soon.

Reactions: nickwingnut13
#31 ·
Set up and installed the AX-DSP-MOST1 bypass unit.

Took literally 20 min to swap out. Along with that I created a whole new amp rack and added alpine type x speakers

Still have to sound deaden. And maybe add a super cap system to help with the Hungry amps. But getting closer to be completed.

#33 ·
so the status update on my stereo.

So as far as I've gone to do this. I have been getting a TON of compliments on the sound quality and performance of the system. Even after doing the alternator swap, I'm still getting the dimming lights a bit when i really turn it up. After much research and looking to fix this issue. I cannot go with a simple 'capacitor' as a 1 or 2 farrad capacitor just wont work well enough. I found a supercap set up that will work yet a bit pricey. I've talked to many 'competetion' guys that have tons of extra batteries and all have told me the same thing. 'if you are going to go with a capacitor, the rule of thumb is 50 farrad for every 1000 watts. Which blew me away because there's no way i'm installing 150 capacitors in my car lol.

Instead of getting an ultra capacitor which is shaped exactly like a car battery and is 1000 farrad, im going with a super capacitor, when you string 6 of these together and you get 300 farrad capacity, which will be sufficient for my set up. they are very light and pack a mean punch.

https://droppinhzcaraudio.com/xs-power-2-7v-3000f-super-capacitor-pack-of-6-16-2v-max/

I'll post pics and give review when finished.

#35 ·
When you install the most1 unit you don’t tap into the speakers at the speakers.

They most1 unit I have came with a diagram to follow. But I tested my speakers with a speaker line tester just to be sure

#36 ·
Also I used 6x9 on the front.

Order speakers from Crutchfield.com and they supply the car adaptors for free.

My friend owns an audio shop and he got me my adaptors.

My speakers are alpine type x 6x9 components. Pretty pricey but the sound is smooth as silk

#37 ·
so the new 2019 ride i just picked up is going to receive a different type of system i think. This one will be all stealth, nav tv hook up, and going to be pulling spare tire and building a custom box for the spare tire wheel well. should turn out nice and keep my trunk space. I'll send pics and give updates when i get started. as for now, enjoying the new car smell and the stock bose system in this new car is actually pretty good especially for a stock system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.