Chevy Impala Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have a catch can? & fuel dilution
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018
jtrosky
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,803 Posts
Garage
There are a few people that have installed catch cans on the site - I'm sure they will chime in. But I'll be honest, it does NOT seem to be a major, widespread issue in the 2012+ Impalas. I don't think I've seen a single complaint of it on this site - not one - and some of the 2012+ LFX Impalas have hundreds of thousands of miles on them by now...

For example, here is post from another site about a 2012 Impala they looked at with 130k miles (with pictures) - not an issue:
http://www.terrainforum.net/31-engin...ve-carbon.html

I honestly don't think a catch can is needed on these cars - GM has obviously keep this issue to a minimum via ECM programming - especially if you use full synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles or less.

Sure, if someone uses cheap oil and never changes it, it might be an issue, but generally speaking, it does not seem to be a big problem on well-maintained 2012+ Impalas....

Just my opinion - not going to "debate" about whether to use a catch can or not (been there, done that, more than once) - that is completely up to you - but I just haven't seen any evidence that it's a big problem on these cars. It's up to you to decide if it's worth removing it every time you need to take your car to a dealership (some *do* document such things when they see them, just in case!)....

Again, just one mans opinion based on what I've seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
carviewsonic (05-09-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome