Impala Forums banner

Anyone know if a auto-dim rearview mirror will work in 2012 LT

6K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  !Tommy 
#1 ·
Can I just buy a GM auto-dim mirror and will it connect right up and work on my 2012 LT? Mine has Onstar functionality and everything, but still has a manual day/night "switch". Can I just power the same type of mirror, but with auto-dim and connect it right up?

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
One more follow-up question - what about the mirrors with the little window that displays compass and temperature information? Will that little display actually work if I put it in my 2012 LT? I'm lookin at used "015607" mirrors on Ebay and a lot of them have that little window - but I don't want the window if it's not going to work.

Also, I've noticed that *most* of these used mirrors have blue and yellow marks on the back - what is up with that? Do they have heat issues or something that caused them to melt in that location??

Thank you!!

#7 ·
Yeah, I mean if I get an auto-dim mirror (my main reason for wanting to replace the mirror) that happens to have a window for the temp and compass information, I would want that information to actually be displayed in the window.

I was assuming that it got that information from the cares ECM or whatever (there is an 18-pin connection to the mirror), but now that I think about it, maybe the mirror just has a compass and thermometer built right in the mirror itself?

I just wouldn't want the little window in the mirror to be "blank"...

#8 ·
I am going to say no. If a stock rear view came with this option and you were trying to replicate that then it might be possible. But if you just want to add that feature in, no it isnt going to work.

Example: I installed a stock DIC (overhead) into my 7th gen and because it didnt come stock the wiring wasnt in the roof and I ended up replacing the entire roof harness...

So, even if the 8th gens DID come with that rear view option, I would be curious as to whether the wiring is there for it.

#9 ·
^^Thanks - I would tend to agree that it probably wouldn't work... I don't know what I was thinking above - it wouldn't do any good to put a thermostat in the mirror itself since it is supposed to display the *outside* temperature - not the interior temperature! :) So, I'm guessing that the mirror uses values from the ECM (or whatever sensor(s) the DIC uses), so I doubt that the wiring is in place in the 8th gen Impalas (never see an 8th gen with the temp/compass display in the mirror).

If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in. If not, I'll just concentrate on a mirror without that little temperature/compass window... It's proving hard to find an auto-dim mirror, with map-lights and On-star controls that is in good condition though, so I may not even do it. It's not that it's "hard" to manually adjust the mirror between day/night settings - would just be nice to have it automatically adjust though... I do wish the 8th gen had auto-dim mirrors and auto climate control - they are about the only "luxuries" that I miss a little...

#11 ·
I found a 8th gen on ebay for $30. and it works just fine.

#13 ·
#17 ·
Thanks... I didn't realize that, mainly because I haven't been able to find an 8th gen auto-dim mirror on Ebay at all... Even some of the older 7th gen auto-dim rearview mirrors that I do find on Ebay are very pricey (some $80+).

It's proving tough to find a rearview mirror that has auto-dim, Onstar and map-lights that is still in great condition. I'll keep searching - I do see one from a 2002 Impala that seems to be in good shape for $25 (starting bid), but of course they want $20 to ship it! :) Still seems like the best deal so far though...

#19 ·
Thanks! That would be awesome... I'll check the plug on my 2012 and if it's the same as the 7th gen connector, I'd be willing to take the risk that it would work (unless someone speaks up in the meantime that it won't work!).

My main concern is that I really want a mirror in excellent condition - I don't want to put an old, crappy looking mirror in my nice 2012 just to get the auto-dim functionality.

Again, thank you very much for your offer - let me verify that the connectors are the same and if so, I'm game!

EDIT: Hmm, you got me thinking! Maybe I should just "switch" the mirrors on my 2012 Impala and my wifes 2005 LaCrosse - it has all of the features that I need! :) She may not like the idea though! :)

#26 ·
While I *truly* do appreciate you checking for me, I think that I'll wait it out and keep watching Ebay for a reasonably priced mirror that has all three and is in excellent condition.

It's amazing to me how almost every single one of these mirrors on Ebay have some sort of damage to the back of them - the damage is strangely colored spots near the bottom of the back of them (blue and/or red spots). Especially when some of them want over $90 for the mirror! There is one right now that seems to be in perfect condition for $50 shipped - I'm still thinking about that one...

Again, thank you very much - I don't want you to think that I'm un-appreciative for your efforts! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.