A couple of weeks ago I started messing with the exhaust on Holly. Seeing as how I have a welder thats been neglected recently and aspirations of "racepala", I started to start hacking on the exhaust. When I started it still had its cat, a glasspack in place of the resonator, and the original y pipe cut about after about a foot in depth.
My first experiment was to run a 45 degree bend then a straight pipe out to a 3 inch tip and have it exit in front of the rear wheel. I had to source some longer o-rings to hang the exhaust from middle of the car a bit lower so it would clear the under carriage. There was also a custom exhaust hanger welded to reuse the existing rubber piece. It sounded great but how everything was arranged, the exhaust was pointing at the outside quarter of the rear tire, the exhaust was hanging lower than I would have liked, and I had lost access to my preferred rear jacking point. I needed to find a different way to route it.
Cut to me looking under the car for about 15 minutes thinking and looking at the stock exhaust after I removed experiment #1
. I noticed that it would be much cleaner and easier to cut the exhaust and attach 90 degree bend to the pipe right before the rear wheel. This way I could retain my preferred jacking point and have the exhaust further from the ground.
It was definitely louder at this point but the tone was still lackluster for my goals. The cat got replaced with a straight piece of pipe and that added more crackle to the sound. Drone is an issue, but for now its tolerable and the rest of my exhaust can be added at a later date if there is a long drive in my future
Videos coming after the weekend.