2013 throwing codes - Chevy Impala Forums
Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion W-Body 2006-2013 (2014+ Limited). Discuss all Chevy Impala 8th Generation Performance and Technical Discussion here.

User Tag List

 6Likes
  • 1 Post By 1999 White C5 Coupe
  • 3 Post By sheila
  • 1 Post By carnau
  • 1 Post By pleasehelpme
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 throwing codes

I might've posted on another thread by accident, so sorry if I did

Anyway,

I just bought a 2013 impala ltz a few days ago from a lot. Wouldn't you know it.. went to drive home from work and as soon as I started it there was the check engine light on. The car seems like it's running fine still so far? Maybe not though. Seems a little weak-ish compared to before? Maybe that's in my head. I noticed white smoke when I started it though, but it went away shortly after. Here are the codes.

p0171
p0174
p0300
p0455
p0496

Can anyone explain to me what each code is and what it could be? (Chances are what each code could be?)

I'm wondering if I just bought something full of problems that's going to need a ton of money put into it.. I just left Ford because of that.
pleasehelpme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
1999 White C5 Coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Thanks: 90
Thanked 154 Times in 134 Posts
Is the vehicle still under the new car warranty? If not, did the selling dealer provide any type of short-term warranty? If not, did the selling dealer provide any type of "bring it back for a refund if not happy within XXX days"?


Read this article: http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1816 - It MAY apply to your situation.
plano-doug likes this.
1999 White C5 Coupe is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thanks: 290
Thanked 234 Times in 178 Posts
^+1. I'd take it back to the lot and demand they deal with it. Fwiw, p0171= lean bank#1, p0174= lean bank#2, p0300= random/multiple cylinder misfire detected, p0455= evap. emission control system leak detected (gross leak) and p0496= high purge flow. I'd wager the purge valve solenoid underhood needs replaced to cure all these codes.
plano-doug, Josh124 and 12 lt like this.
sheila is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheila For This Useful Post:
cj1 (06-01-2017), plano-doug (06-01-2017)
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Josh124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Based on that assortment of codes it's probably a simple evap system issue like sheila said. Here's a thread on how to change the underhood canister purge valve that likes to go bad on these vehicles along with a list of the possible symptoms you may experience:
http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-im...ml#post3059946
Josh124 is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Junior Member
 
carnau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey I created a youtube video a while back about replacing a purge valve for the P0496. Hope this helps, sorry it is upside down but still easy to follow.
sheila likes this.
carnau is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to carnau For This Useful Post:
TSS (06-02-2017)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
Is the vehicle still under the new car warranty? If not, did the selling dealer provide any type of short-term warranty? If not, did the selling dealer provide any type of "bring it back for a refund if not happy within XXX days"?


Read this article: Damaged Engine Wiring Harness - It MAY apply to your situation.
I live in Ohio so I get screwed for stuff like this when it's a new car, and it's at 114k miles so I believe it's not under any warranty. In Ohio they are allowed to do the "as is" crap. So I had to roll the dice here. So you're all pretty confident that if I replace that purge valve that it might cure majority of these issues? Same with probably a new gas cap?

Also, I took it down the road about an hour ago. I gun'd it pretty hard. Basically the pedal to the floor to clear it out and see if, hopefully not, a transmission issue. I don't think it is a tras issue though? It seemed to be shifting pretty easily into each gear. the only thing I noticed was it would shift at like 5,500 RPM (can't remember which gear it was probably in). That might be normal? I haven't had a car in so long. I had a crap ford f150 for so long and it obviously never shifted that high in RPM. It sounded okay though when it was shifting. What do you all think? Any insight on anything I said in the two paragraphs is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
pleasehelpme is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
1999 White C5 Coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Thanks: 90
Thanked 154 Times in 134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
I live in Ohio so I get screwed for stuff like this when it's a new car, and it's at 114k miles so I believe it's not under any warranty. In Ohio they are allowed to do the "as is" crap. So I had to roll the dice here. So you're all pretty confident that if I replace that purge valve that it might cure majority of these issues? Same with probably a new gas cap?

Also, I took it down the road about an hour ago. I gun'd it pretty hard. Basically the pedal to the floor to clear it out and see if, hopefully not, a transmission issue. I don't think it is a tras issue though? It seemed to be shifting pretty easily into each gear. the only thing I noticed was it would shift at like 5,500 RPM (can't remember which gear it was probably in). That might be normal? I haven't had a car in so long. I had a crap ford f150 for so long and it obviously never shifted that high in RPM. It sounded okay though when it was shifting. What do you all think? Any insight on anything I said in the two paragraphs is greatly appreciated. Thank you.


I suspect that replacing the purge valve as suggested by sheila, Josh124 and carnau will correct the problems. The part is inexpensive and easy to replace. I would buy a genuine GM part (Delco) from a dealer or an AC Delco jobber.

I bought a new 2012 Impala LTZ - now with a a family member. I had previously owned a 2008 & 2011 Impala LTZ. The 2012 model with the 3.6 V-6 and 6-speed transmission was a very good performer and much better than the 2008 & 2011 models. I now own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the same engine / transmission and it is a good performer.
1999 White C5 Coupe is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
I suspect that replacing the purge valve as suggested by sheila, Josh124 and carnau will correct the problems. The part is inexpensive and easy to replace. I would buy a genuine GM part (Delco) from a dealer or an AC Delco jobber.

I bought a new 2012 Impala LTZ - now with a a family member. I had previously owned a 2008 & 2011 Impala LTZ. The 2012 model with the 3.6 V-6 and 6-speed transmission was a very good performer and much better than the 2008 & 2011 models. I now own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the same engine / transmission and it is a good performer.
I love the engine. It seems powerful. Glad to hear that you think the trans for the 3.6 on the 2013 is a good performer. Does that RPM sound about right when it shifts once I really gun it? And just so I'm clear here, that purge valve might possibly fix those codes? That would be wonderful if it does. I like the look and feel of this car, and I really can't afford super huge payments.
pleasehelpme is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:44 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Unfortunately as is is common most places when buying used and it is buyer beware unless otherwise noted.

The 3.6 and 6 speed imo are pretty reliable if taken care of. Bought our 2012 new and now have around 125000 miles on it, it has had the check engine light come on a handful of times, pretty sure they were all related to gas cap as they eventually cleared out on their own and when I tried retrieving any archived codes with my scanner there were none.

Shifting above 5500 with your foot in it is not an issue.
12 lt is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
reubenswinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
Does that RPM sound about right when it shifts once I really gun it?
Sounds right to me. I think full throttle they shift at 6500 rpm when stock. At least that is where my 2013 does.
reubenswinks is online now  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Joes74challenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Garage
as a side note after changing out the evap part they listed above it might take a few restarts for the code to go away. so don't be totally alarmed if it doesn't kill the code instantly. i changed the under the hood evap part and it didn't fix it (was like $24 on a 2010 with a 3.5 motor, not your 3.6 so prices will vary). for me to get rid of the evap code it was the purge canister in the drivers rear quarter panel (that was about $80 at autozone/advanced for the 3.5 motor). both were very easy fixes and common issues honestly from what i can see around these forums. if you feel confident ordering the part online vs a parts store you can check out rockauto.com they often have the same parts for reduced prices after shipping. there are also 5% off coupon codes for additional savings usually.
Joes74challenger is online now  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
Unfortunately as is is common most places when buying used and it is buyer beware unless otherwise noted.

The 3.6 and 6 speed imo are pretty reliable if taken care of. Bought our 2012 new and now have around 125000 miles on it, it has had the check engine light come on a handful of times, pretty sure they were all related to gas cap as they eventually cleared out on their own and when I tried retrieving any archived codes with my scanner there were none.

Shifting above 5500 with your foot in it is not an issue.
Yeah it's very upsetting. But I knew that going in, and I'd rather take the gamble on this car than that truck honestly. This car seems like it was taken care of for the most part. Minor cosmetic problems. Still has the power behind it I feel like. So maybe each one of these are related to the cap? And isn't a big issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenswinks View Post
Sounds right to me. I think full throttle they shift at 6500 rpm when stock. At least that is where my 2013 does.
Awesome, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes74challenger View Post
as a side note after changing out the evap part they listed above it might take a few restarts for the code to go away. so don't be totally alarmed if it doesn't kill the code instantly. i changed the under the hood evap part and it didn't fix it (was like $24 on a 2010 with a 3.5 motor, not your 3.6 so prices will vary). for me to get rid of the evap code it was the purge canister in the drivers rear quarter panel (that was about $80 at autozone/advanced for the 3.5 motor). both were very easy fixes and common issues honestly from what i can see around these forums. if you feel confident ordering the part online vs a parts store you can check out rockauto.com they often have the same parts for reduced prices after shipping. there are also 5% off coupon codes for additional savings usually.
Thank you for informing me about that. I'll end up checking out both of them. I might just let my mechanics because they're extremely trustworthy and I'm not the -best- mechanic by any means. But I can relay this to them. You guys are the best. Appreciate the help.

If anyone has anymore to suggest or any imput, please go right ahead.
pleasehelpme is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
Yeah it's very upsetting. But I knew that going in, and I'd rather take the gamble on this car than that truck honestly. This car seems like it was taken care of for the most part. Minor cosmetic problems. Still has the power behind it I feel like. So maybe each one of these are related to the cap? And isn't a big issue?
No sorry, I was not referring to your issue as being a gas cap issue but rather that that has been the only cel we have had with ours since we bought it. Just my opinion that these are solid drivetrains in these cars.

I think Sheila probably has it right. From the sounds of it that is not a tough fix and may well fix all your codes.

Good luck with it, and please report back the results.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
No sorry, I was not referring to your issue as being a gas cap issue but rather that that has been the only cel we have had with ours since we bought it. Just my opinion that these are solid drivetrains in these cars.

I think Sheila probably has it right. From the sounds of it that is not a tough fix and may well fix all your codes.

Good luck with it, and please report back the results.
Oh you're fine then.

So, my mechanic called me and they're confident that it's the evap valve under the hood and gas cap. Easy and cheaper fix. -Hopefully- that's all it is and I'll find out after I drive it some more. Might post here again later to update and such.

Thank you all so much!
sheila likes this.
pleasehelpme is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
pleasehelpme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, we replaced the purge can and the code came back. Just replaced the gas cap. Hopefully it doesn't come back on. So stressful.
pleasehelpme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throwing nitrous in the impala?? tlaclare 8th Gen Engine Performance 37 05-12-2017 01:16 PM
Two P0455 Codes on a 2013 Impala LT jay408 Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion 2 11-24-2016 05:34 AM
throwing code 172 bcwarlock2 Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion 1 05-04-2013 10:30 PM
08 Impala LT throwing multiple codes blackrosetiger Autocare and Maintenance 7 04-23-2013 06:31 AM
2003 9C1- throwing codes and hesitating HighwayLurker Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion 7 03-30-2009 07:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome