Do I fix? Or get rid of? - Chevy Impala Forums
Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion W-Body 2006-2013 (2014+ Limited). Discuss all Chevy Impala 8th Generation Performance and Technical Discussion here.

User Tag List

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 12 lt
  • 2 Post By hatzie
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rickmfromnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rochester NH
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I fix? Or get rid of?

My Impala "Deadpool" was purchased the day after Thanksgiving 2016 with 94,000 miles on it. It has just turned 100,000. The day I bought it the check engine light came on, as well as the ABS, Traction Control and service Brake Assist all came on. An O2 sensor and the left speed sensor assembly was replaced and things were ok, until I found out there had been an unreported accident and the sub frame was damaged and pushed back. As time has gone by, the same warning lights have come on again, for the right side speed sensor assembly (or whatever it is called), more O2 sensors, and nw the AC system is not working when it looks like all the bits should, the rear defrost doesnt work, the OnStar computer needs to be repaired, the remote trunk doesn't work, and I was recently in an accident and had to spend $5,000 out of pocket for a new front end. What do I do? Where do I begin?
rickmfromnh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmfromnh View Post
As time has gone by, the same warning lights have come on again, for the right side speed sensor assembly (or whatever it is called), more O2 sensors, and nw the AC system is not working when it looks like all the bits should, the rear defrost doesnt work, the OnStar computer needs to be repaired, the remote trunk doesn't work, and I was recently in an accident and had to spend $5,000 out of pocket for a new front end. What do I do? Where do I begin?
No insurance? Honestly surprised if you had insurance that they did not offer to total it out. Sounds like you have more in it than you could get out of it.

To each their own, but I wouldn't feel right pawning off the issues on an individual without fully disclosing all I know, dealers another story. lol
Revo2Maxx2016 likes this.
12 lt is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 12 lt For This Useful Post:
TSS (04-09-2017)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rickmfromnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rochester NH
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have liability only for insurance right now; its all I can afford. And I looked into trading it in, and can't right now, so I am stuck with the damn thing.
rickmfromnh is offline  
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
hatzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rumney, NH
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 44
Thanked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmfromnh View Post
My Impala "Deadpool" was purchased the day after Thanksgiving 2016 with 94,000 miles on it. It has just turned 100,000. The day I bought it the check engine light came on, as well as the ABS, Traction Control and service Brake Assist all came on. An O2 sensor and the left speed sensor assembly was replaced and things were ok, until I found out there had been an unreported accident and the sub frame was damaged and pushed back. As time has gone by, the same warning lights have come on again, for the right side speed sensor assembly (or whatever it is called), more O2 sensors, and nw the AC system is not working when it looks like all the bits should, the rear defrost doesnt work, the OnStar computer needs to be repaired, the remote trunk doesn't work, and I was recently in an accident and had to spend $5,000 out of pocket for a new front end. What do I do? Where do I begin?
The ABS wiring is a weak link. The wires can break or chafe from movement of the suspension. You can get a repair pigtail from Dorman to fix this.

OnStar? Unplug the antennas and move on. You can get Bluetooth visor modules much cheaper than a BlondeStar repair.

Assuming the dash button actually unlocks the trunk but the FOB doesn't... Try changing the battery. It's a 2032 coin cell you can pick up at the grocery store, drugstore, or WalMart. If that doesn't work and the other functions still do it's probably just the rubber button portion of the FOB has lost conductivity just like a dodgy cable TV remote.
Pop the remote open and look at the circuit board pads to make sure they aren't scrubbed through to the board. Replacement rubber with a new plastic case. Just swap over your circuit board and go.
Remote start is five buttons without remote start is four buttons... $6 - $7 on Amazon for


or



If the AC light blinks and the AC doesn't turn on it may be as simple as a $4 -$7 exterior temp sensor just behind the grille. Bloody easy to swap. When you install a new sensor you need to re-initialize the BCM ambient air temp input. This thread tells how http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-im...mp-sensor.html

The un-repaired accident damage may potentially be a lawsuit if you bought it from a dealer and it was not disclosed. From an individual you are generally SOL.

The O2 Sensor failure in quick succession needs to be looked at with a scan tool.
plano-doug and 12 lt like this.

2009 Impala SS
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by hatzie; 03-27-2017 at 09:22 AM.
hatzie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hatzie For This Useful Post:
TSS (04-09-2017)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Man that is a shame. Really sounds like the kind of luck I have had at times.

Know it is a little late for it at this point, but honestly had it been me, I would have taken it right back where I had gotten it from just as soon as those codes started popping up. Same day you drove it away, that would have been a serious red flag.

Far as the insurance, kind of a gamble is what I was always told and imo there is some truth in that. Have full coverage on the 01 buick lesabre my now 21 year old daughter drives, she is 300 miles away on the other end of this state. She rear ended someone and our insurance company(farm bureau) totaled out the car. Rather than salvage it, they offered me to keep it and they cut us a check to "buy it back". Car was a low mileage car in great mechanical condition so that was a no brainer. No way I could have found a low mileage car in the same condition for what they were going to give us. After all was said and done we were out of pocket less than the deductible to the shop to fix the car with mostly genuine gm parts.
12 lt is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rickmfromnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rochester NH
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hatzie, thanks for the info on the AC repair; I don't know why a new sensor wasn't put in after my accident, due to the front end being replaced. As for the fob, I got it from ebay and replaced the battery; will try buying another. As for the sub frame, the car was aligned before I bought it; I didn't know that it had been damaged; that had not been disclosed. However, I talked to my state's State Police, and they said that it will not cause the car to not pass inspection.
rickmfromnh is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 AM
Member
 
reubenswinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmfromnh View Post
However, I talked to my state's State Police, and they said that it will not cause the car to not pass inspection.

When I lived in Ontario we would have safety inspections whenever a car transferred ownership. It is basically a checklist they go down just to make sure they are in decent shape. If your state is like that, you could probably get the checklist so you know what else to look for in the future that isn't covered on that list.
If you are talking about the inspection for getting a rebuilt salvage title (not sure if your car had that), I know that the inspection here in Michigan is a joke for that. All they basically do is make sure that the car is not missing any major parts. They don't even drive the cars to see how road worthy they are.
I've learned not to trust in other peoples inspections all that much and usually do a good look over of any cars I buy myself, and then bring to a trusted mechanic to also look over.
Sucks that is happened either way. Hopefully you can get away with not too much in repairs. There is a thread of someone who replaced their subframe decently in-expensively here...not sure if it is just your subframe that is damaged, or the mounting points too.
reubenswinks is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Don't know what kind of luck(dollar wise) you would have selling it to an individual with disclosing the frame damage and prior wreck/s, but possible if you have it driving straight and sensor issues taken care of that you could sell it with a clear conscience to someone who would have no issues with it having been wrecked. I know people knowingly buy "refurbished" cars with salvage titles all the time.

Good luck.
12 lt is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
hatzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rumney, NH
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 44
Thanked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenswinks View Post
When I lived in Ontario we would have safety inspections whenever a car transferred ownership. It is basically a checklist they go down just to make sure they are in decent shape. If your state is like that, you could probably get the checklist so you know what else to look for in the future that isn't covered on that list.
If you are talking about the inspection for getting a rebuilt salvage title (not sure if your car had that), I know that the inspection here in Michigan is a joke for that. All they basically do is make sure that the car is not missing any major parts. They don't even drive the cars to see how road worthy they are.
I've learned not to trust in other peoples inspections all that much and usually do a good look over of any cars I buy myself, and then bring to a trusted mechanic to also look over.
Sucks that is happened either way. Hopefully you can get away with not too much in repairs. There is a thread of someone who replaced their subframe decently in-expensively here...not sure if it is just your subframe that is damaged, or the mounting points too.
New York looks it over and checks for stolen parts and VIN swapping. It seems like they could care less if it's safe to drive.

2009 Impala SS
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
hatzie is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
rickmfromnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rochester NH
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have started chipping away at the issues with the car, as I am keeping it. The ABS/Traction Control was due to the wires coming out of a connector; I have done a temporary fix until a new harness can be purchased. The AC is actually working when it is over 45 degrees outside, which is a relief.
rickmfromnh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got rid of the impala and got a 15 malibu gabriel9766 Automotive Discussion 14 08-14-2015 02:07 AM
Odd things you have aquired and want to get rid of. Dwayne J Off-Topic Discussion 24 02-21-2012 03:54 PM
I Got Rid of my Impala Soltero Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion 3 01-12-2011 02:51 PM
Chevrolet : Impala Super Sport 1962 Chevy Impala SS ultimate Red hot rod with air rid RSS Bot eBay Cars For Sale: Impala 0 11-09-2010 04:41 AM
need to get rid of 1 wheel peal the91beast Automotive Discussion 9 12-18-2009 06:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome