Half-Mile / Race the Runway 2017 - Chevy Impala Forums
User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ImpalaLFX13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, National Capital Region
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Half-Mile / Race the Runway 2017

Hi to all,
Iíve register to the half mile race that will be happeningon Saturday the 12 August (still far). But I was wondering if any of you everdid this test or heard or saw any 8th Gen Impalaís attempting thisrace?
Iíve ordered 4 Continental Contact Sport 225-50-17 (PN:15507090000) that are W rated tires (Max speed of 270KM/H (168MPH)). Because ofthe tires, Trifecta will be able to legally have my limiter max speed set at260KM/H (162MPH).
My best ľ mile (400M) trap speed was 106.9mph; Iímwondering what an extra ľ mile will bring a street legal, drive-in, drive-outto this event will do? Except for a nice wax job, Iím not planning to do any aerodynamicsalteration to the car. New suspension parts, new brakes and tires should makethis car stable at over +240KM/H (149mph)
I donít know about the US Impalaís model, but the Canadian 8thGenís was factory limited to 180KM/H (112MPH) and the 9C1/9C3ís are limited to190KM/H (120MPH). All I can tell you that I already drove the car past ++220KM/H(137MPH) late one evening, but for legal reason, I did not post the video onyou tube.
If temperature will cooperate, I should have a video(s) toshare will all of you (inside and outside view), and I hope to be the fastest 8thGen Impala in the world regarding the half-mile. Maybe one day I will go theTexas full mile race.
FYI, Iíve ordered custom camshaftís that Iím (for now)keeping the specs secret and a set of MACE performance 100lbs Gas Nitridetreated beehive spring valves kit with all titanium retainers. But I still didnot do anything regarding the OEM horse-shoe shape down pipe. Just waiting for this crappy winter seasonto be all over.


Carbide, Josh124 and etb4u like this.
ImpalaLFX13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Good luck and be sure to report back how it goes.

Have honestly not pushed it with our 2012 lt.
12 lt is online now  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Thanks: 94
Thanked 222 Times in 205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaLFX13 View Post
Hi to all,
Iíve register to the half mile race that will be happeningon Saturday the 12 August (still far). But I was wondering if any of you everdid this test or heard or saw any 8th Gen Impalaís attempting thisrace?
Iíve ordered 4 Continental Contact Sport 225-50-17 (PN:15507090000) that are W rated tires (Max speed of 270KM/H (168MPH)). Because ofthe tires, Trifecta will be able to legally have my limiter max speed set at260KM/H (162MPH).
My best ľ mile (400M) trap speed was 106.9mph; Iímwondering what an extra ľ mile will bring a street legal, drive-in, drive-outto this event will do? Except for a nice wax job, Iím not planning to do any aerodynamicsalteration to the car. New suspension parts, new brakes and tires should makethis car stable at over +240KM/H (149mph)
I donít know about the US Impalaís model, but the Canadian 8thGenís was factory limited to 180KM/H (112MPH) and the 9C1/9C3ís are limited to190KM/H (120MPH). All I can tell you that I already drove the car past ++220KM/H(137MPH) late one evening, but for legal reason, I did not post the video onyou tube.
If temperature will cooperate, I should have a video(s) toshare will all of you (inside and outside view), and I hope to be the fastest 8thGen Impala in the world regarding the half-mile. Maybe one day I will go theTexas full mile race.
FYI, Iíve ordered custom camshaftís that Iím (for now)keeping the specs secret and a set of MACE performance 100lbs Gas Nitridetreated beehive spring valves kit with all titanium retainers. But I still didnot do anything regarding the OEM horse-shoe shape down pipe. Just waiting for this crappy winter seasonto be all over.

Your numbers seem in the ball park. I have a friend who is a GM engineer. He told me the factory programmed limit is 140mph on my 8th-gen 2007 SS.

Good luck at the event. It sounds like fun I look forward to reading your results.

Doug

.
plano-doug is offline  
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 10,622
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Thanks: 964
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,572 Posts
The factory limiter on my 2012 LT was definitely 112mph as well (it would actually come up on the DIC and tell you so).

Sent from my AOSP on Intel Platform using Tapatalk
jtrosky is online now  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
 
Dwayne J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 319 Times in 198 Posts
Factory limiters are setup based on tires offered from the factory, for non-performance cars 108 or 112 usually.

Far as top speed runs I really don't know enough about the car but be aware gearing can limit you beyond peak rpm. If the gearing isn't right you can have the engine below peak power when the wind stops you. Even if the gearing works OK I doubt you would hit 160ph. Aerodynamic drag increases greatly with speed, look at what your 1/8th mile mph is compared to 1/4 mile, rate of acceleration falls off dramatically.

Let us know how it goes.

Dwayne
96 Caprice with AI 200cc package
Best et 11.5
Best MPH 116
Just another taxi
Dwayne J is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 10,622
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Thanks: 964
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,572 Posts
The top speed for the 2012+ police cars was like 148mph, I believe. But the police version has a custom tune as well. I doubt that you'll get one of these over 150mph, even with mods... I could be wrong though!

Sent from my OBOOK 11 PLUS DUALOS using Tapatalk
jtrosky is online now  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Read somewhere that the factory equipped car(2012 lt) was "capable" of reaching 158 mph with speed limiter removed and appropriate tires, that was NOT with any mods. Think the 13 should be about the same, however I don't know how fast I would feel comfortable taking one of these cars on a track without some suspension work and better brakes. I have been upside down before watching the median grass in my sunroof at over 80 and that is not much fun, got bumped on the front end by some jerk on I4 just outside orlando Fl nearly 30 years ago.

Does not take much without proper suspension at speeds over 120 to get squirrely real fast.

The goodyear tires on these cars from the factory were rated to 112, no way after I saw how those tires were coming apart at around 40k I would even think of trying it with them.
12 lt is online now  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 960
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Thanks: 290
Thanked 235 Times in 179 Posts
Only bolt-on mod I have is the ported throttle body and torque steer rears its ugly head if I moderately put my foot into it, lol!
sheila is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Carbide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Garage
Make sure you arrive with it clean so it looks good in the pics, and keep the gas tank level low for the track use.

Can you get pure gas, no ethanol, in Canadia?
Carbide is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
Dwayne J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 319 Times in 198 Posts
I wouldn't both with a low tank for 1/2 mile, if baffling is good it can help a tiny bit for shorter drag racing but I suspect this is more about mph than ET and if the sustained acceleration causes the bucket to go dry and impacts power it will hurt mph more than the 30lbs saved helped.

My Caprice had horrible baffling and had to keep the tank solidly over half a tank or it would run dry for a moment after the launch, usually 5/8 of a tank was my minimum.

Dwayne
96 Caprice with AI 200cc package
Best et 11.5
Best MPH 116
Just another taxi
Dwayne J is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ImpalaLFX13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, National Capital Region
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I guess we will all have to wait to see what my 8th Gen Impala will trap the 1/2 mile. I search to see if any 8th Gen SS ever did the 1/2 mile and all I could find is 1/4 miles and max top speeds that some did. The way I see things, I trap the 1/8 at about 80ishMPH, the 1/4 mile at about 105'ishMPH, so let's hope I will be able to trap about 130/140ishMPH. Got to be realistic here, I really doubt I will be able to reach my tune max speed limiter at 162mph. But we will see what happens, never know, maybe the DA will be very good and help the 3.6 gain a few more HP.


But, that's in August, my favorite track opens on the 22 April. will probably attend 15 days this season, will keep you guys posted if I ever beat any of my personal best.


Unlike the 1/4 mile, the 1/2 mile event does not count the time it takes, only the trap speed at the finish line. I have a device to calculate the 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc. I will check if it has the 1/2 mile on it??? Again, very hard to know how long it will take, but my best guess, it will take around 23 seconds? (13.5ish 1/4 mile + 9.5ish the extra 1/4 mile).
ImpalaLFX13 is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
reubenswinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I imagine you have checked out www.automobile-catalog.com already...but it has some good information for what you can expect from the impala in stock form.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1570220/chevrolet_impala_lt.html shows the performance data. Stock 0-120 mph takes about 23 seconds. I think you are probably right in guessing you will be around 130-135 mph for a half mile.
reubenswinks is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Member
 
etb4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ImpalaLFX13 never fails at giving me hope on the possibilities of this platform.
Maybe you can convince ZZP/Overkill/Thrasher to build us a stronger transmission. :P
etb4u is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Member
 
etb4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaLFX13 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I guess we will all have to wait to see what my 8th Gen Impala will trap the 1/2 mile. I search to see if any 8th Gen SS ever did the 1/2 mile and all I could find is 1/4 miles and max top speeds that some did. The way I see things, I trap the 1/8 at about 80ishMPH, the 1/4 mile at about 105'ishMPH, so let's hope I will be able to trap about 130/140ishMPH. Got to be realistic here, I really doubt I will be able to reach my tune max speed limiter at 162mph. But we will see what happens, never know, maybe the DA will be very good and help the 3.6 gain a few more HP.


But, that's in August, my favorite track opens on the 22 April. will probably attend 15 days this season, will keep you guys posted if I ever beat any of my personal best.


Unlike the 1/4 mile, the 1/2 mile event does not count the time it takes, only the trap speed at the finish line. I have a device to calculate the 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc. I will check if it has the 1/2 mile on it??? Again, very hard to know how long it will take, but my best guess, it will take around 23 seconds? (13.5ish 1/4 mile + 9.5ish the extra 1/4 mile).
Assuming you hit the 1/4 ~105MPH, you're covering 154 ft/sec. Which would be an additional 8.6 seconds for the second half if you kept it at that speed. I'm betting 7.5 seconds to complete that second half.
Put me for a nickel that you do it in 21 seconds total
etb4u is offline  
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,914
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 596
Thanked 222 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
The goodyear tires on these cars from the factory were rated to 112, no way after I saw how those tires were coming apart at around 40k I would even think of trying it with them.

The OEM Goodyear Eagle tires on these cars are absolute crap, compared to my General Tires. I would never go that fast with those crappy Goodyears. At those speeds, good tires and good brakes are essential for survival.

2006 Impala LTZ/SS 3.9 L V6
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
5 Piece Billet Aluminum Grille, Chrome Side Pillars
General Tire Altimax RT43 Tires
K&N High Flow Air Filter with modified airbox
Monroe Quick Struts, 35% Window Tints
GM Strut Tower Brace Bars and Don Rome Brackets
Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Mud Flaps
Chrome Licence Plate Protectors, SS Badges
Motomaster Eliminator Battery (925 CCA)
Wagner Rotors and Monroe ceramic pads
5" Android Smart Mirror
Overkill Engine Tune!
Dave_N is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Half of my 06 install sandness Audio, Video, and Electronics 20 10-20-2014 12:35 PM
half way done with my LEDs Altair Recent Mods/Weekly Updates 6 07-27-2014 06:21 PM
Going in behind half done work...help! ExcelsiorRacing Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion 2 07-15-2014 11:40 AM
Half shaft leaking Desighitter 7th Gen Drivetrain 2 02-12-2013 10:10 AM
Car turns on half the time. Classikcaprice77 Audio, Video, and Electronics 11 04-02-2010 11:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome