03 4t65e won't shift unless I let off the gas - Chevy Impala Forums

It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Chevy Impala Forums

Go Back   Chevy Impala Forums > Performance and Technical > Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion > 7th Gen Drivetrain

7th Gen Drivetrain Transmissions, clutches, and axles.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Aaron91RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
03 4t65e won't shift unless I let off the gas

After reading all 16 threads with the word 4t65e in them. (really that's it?)
All the tranny problems come down to solenoids which is fine, but they all talk about hard shifting or bucking.
My problem is mine doesn't want to shift unless you let off the gas, otherwise it wants to wrap out.
Tranny fluid is still pink.
I mean I can do the usual solenoid replacement but even google doesn't seem to come up with anything with these symptons for this tranny?

Just a thought is there any other sensor it might be not on the tranny, like a TPS or something?

Only codes are random misfire and egr. (yeah the engine has issues too but that's another story)

Aaron91RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Year of the 5th Generation

 
77Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North TX
Posts: 6,632
Thanks: 275
Thanked 253 Times in 160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
Only codes are random misfire and egr. (yeah the engine has issues too but that's another story)
Just from what you stated here and what I learned from a transmission specialist 2 months ago says you are looking at the wrong problem. Skip the transmission for the moment. The transmission specialist told me that most times when the transmission won't up shift properly but as you described is due to a problem(s) with the engine. The engine has to lug harder (even if we as the driver are not aware of it) when it has an issue and this will cause the transmission to shift late or once the accelerator is backed off of. Since yours has the misfire and egr problem I would solve these issues first then see if the transmission really has a problem, for I doubt it does.

__________________

1977 Chevrolet Impala Sedan, 305, TH200, 2.56:1, 106K miles, 37 Lifetime Warranty Parts.
1989 GMC C1500 Sierra ECSB 350, HM290, 3.08:1, 329K miles, 6 Lifetime Warranty Parts.

77Impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Aaron91RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To solve those I have to do yet another head gasket, LIMG replacement.
Dexcool FTL.

Aaron91RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Year of the 5th Generation

 
77Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North TX
Posts: 6,632
Thanks: 275
Thanked 253 Times in 160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
To solve those I have to do yet another head gasket, LIMG replacement.
That should solve the problem with the transmission. The PCM uses the MAPS sensor to help it on both the fuel trim and when to shift the transmission, with the reading off from the leak this would explain why the transmission does not shift until you back off the accelerator.

__________________

1977 Chevrolet Impala Sedan, 305, TH200, 2.56:1, 106K miles, 37 Lifetime Warranty Parts.
1989 GMC C1500 Sierra ECSB 350, HM290, 3.08:1, 329K miles, 6 Lifetime Warranty Parts.

77Impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Aaron91RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaning toward a clogged cat now

Aaron91RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Year of the 5th Generation

 
77Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North TX
Posts: 6,632
Thanks: 275
Thanked 253 Times in 160 Posts
Any codes from the PCM?

__________________

1977 Chevrolet Impala Sedan, 305, TH200, 2.56:1, 106K miles, 37 Lifetime Warranty Parts.
1989 GMC C1500 Sierra ECSB 350, HM290, 3.08:1, 329K miles, 6 Lifetime Warranty Parts.

77Impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lingenfelter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get an emissions test done. Should indicate wether the Cat is bad, which I would suspect with sluggish shifting.

And don't replace the cat with an aftermarket if it is bad, and you have high emissions standards in your area. Oftentimes aftermarket cats are high-flow and do not do the job sufficiently to pass e-testing, even when new.

__________________
GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
Top 10 poster at NAIOA.
Top 10 poster at NewImpala.
Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
wanderson75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If that doesn't come up with anything, I'd be looking at the TCC solenoid.

__________________


Quote:
in·sane   /ɪnˈseɪn/ Show Spelled[in-seyn] Show IPA
–adjective
1. not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.
3. utterly senseless: an insane plan.
4. Swapping a 3.8V6 Supercharged into an 05 Base Impala.
wanderson75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
54warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar issue here, however it shifts when under 'normal' conditions, however when you 'hammer down' to pass someone, it downshifts fine, then won't upshift and it hesitates in/out of the throttle, the CEL starts to blink, and when you let off the gas, it will finally upshift. Then the CEL continues to blink for a short time and goes out.

This is on a 2002 3.8L auto with 78k.

Thoughts?

__________________

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4
2002 Chevrolet Impala
54warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator
 
wanderson75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54warrior View Post
Similar issue here, however it shifts when under 'normal' conditions, however when you 'hammer down' to pass someone, it downshifts fine, then won't upshift and it hesitates in/out of the throttle, the CEL starts to blink, and when you let off the gas, it will finally upshift. Then the CEL continues to blink for a short time and goes out.

This is on a 2002 3.8L auto with 78k.

Thoughts?
If the CEL is blinking, it's indicating that there's a misfire. Get the codes read. In your case I'd be looking at the cat.

__________________


Quote:
in·sane   /ɪnˈseɪn/ Show Spelled[in-seyn] Show IPA
–adjective
1. not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.
3. utterly senseless: an insane plan.
4. Swapping a 3.8V6 Supercharged into an 05 Base Impala.
wanderson75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
54warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderson75 View Post
If the CEL is blinking, it's indicating that there's a misfire. Get the codes read. In your case I'd be looking at the cat.

Ok, thanks! Even if the light isn't on, the code will still be there?

Also, would the cat be covered on some type of 8 yr, 80k emissions warranty?

__________________

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4
2002 Chevrolet Impala
54warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
54warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderson75 View Post
If the CEL is blinking, it's indicating that there's a misfire. Get the codes read. In your case I'd be looking at the cat.
You were right. It was the cat. Interestingly enough, the dealer told me that it didn't fall under warranty coverage (the 8 year portion expired last September). And that it would be $750 to repair. After some more digging, I came across some GM documentation that extended warranty coverage on all 2001/2002 3.4/3.8L Engines.

So that meant it got fixed for free!


Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter # 05551 - (Sep 14, 2005)

Models:
2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO
2001-02 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
2001-02 BUICK REGAL

EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; and Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) or 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 engine, may experience a condition where the vehicle exhaust catalytic converter is replaced due to complaints of lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This may be due to the front endcone insulation from the catalytic converter breaking away and blocking the front of the first catalyst brick and preventing the free flow of exhaust gas through the converter.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (190,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 15, 2005 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 15, 2005 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

2001 Chevrolet Impala 19100001 - 19378250
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 19100001 - 19378233
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 1F100004 - 1F275188
2001 Buick Regal 11100004 - 11338085
2002 Chevrolet Impala 29100001 - 29374833
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 29100016 - 29374832
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 2F100019 - 2F276927
2002 Buick Regal 21100001 - 21288762

Involved are all 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) or 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 engine and built with the VIN breakpoints shown.

Parts Information

10343187 Converter, Catalytic (L36 engine)
10343185 Converter, Catalytic (LA1 engine)
10328740 Gasket, Catalytic Converter (Converter to I-Pipe, both)
15286606 Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe (L36)
24505057 Gasket, Exh Manif Pip (LA1)

Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special policy on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

__________________

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4
2002 Chevrolet Impala
54warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
SuperSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job, 54....

I had to do some research like that to get cats replaced on my '02 Yukon a few years back. It's amazing how much they charge for that, but it is what it is.

__________________
'95 Impala SS --- Low Budget Mods... More to come!


SuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderator
 
04DetroitLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54warrior View Post
You were right. It was the cat. Interestingly enough, the dealer told me that it didn't fall under warranty coverage (the 8 year portion expired last September). And that it would be $750 to repair. After some more digging, I came across some GM documentation that extended warranty coverage on all 2001/2002 3.4/3.8L Engines.

So that meant it got fixed for free!


Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter # 05551 - (Sep 14, 2005)

Models:
2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO
2001-02 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
2001-02 BUICK REGAL

EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; and Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) or 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 engine, may experience a condition where the vehicle exhaust catalytic converter is replaced due to complaints of lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This may be due to the front endcone insulation from the catalytic converter breaking away and blocking the front of the first catalyst brick and preventing the free flow of exhaust gas through the converter.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (190,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 15, 2005 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 15, 2005 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

2001 Chevrolet Impala 19100001 - 19378250
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 19100001 - 19378233
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 1F100004 - 1F275188
2001 Buick Regal 11100004 - 11338085
2002 Chevrolet Impala 29100001 - 29374833
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 29100016 - 29374832
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 2F100019 - 2F276927
2002 Buick Regal 21100001 - 21288762

Involved are all 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) or 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 engine and built with the VIN breakpoints shown.

Parts Information

10343187 Converter, Catalytic (L36 engine)
10343185 Converter, Catalytic (LA1 engine)
10328740 Gasket, Catalytic Converter (Converter to I-Pipe, both)
15286606 Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe (L36)
24505057 Gasket, Exh Manif Pip (LA1)

Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special policy on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Nice find,
for anyone else, you can get an aftermarket downpipe (bolt in w/ cat) for under $300 fwiw ;)

__________________
any asshole can make a v8 fast
It takes a special breed oof stupid/crazy asshole to make a v6 fast



http:www.hellfiremotorsports.com/garage
04DetroitLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard shift? n5926g 7th Gen Drivetrain 43 06-09-2014 02:22 AM
which shift kits the best bubba67646 Automotive Discussion 1 12-16-2009 04:11 AM
tranny shift kit choptop Chevy Caprice 3 11-14-2009 02:50 PM
Shift kit? Danny_Boy 7th Gen Drivetrain 6 11-07-2009 08:40 AM
Hard shift from 1-2 AKvsAR 7th Gen Drivetrain 6 04-28-2009 10:44 PM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
This site is not affiliated nor endorsed by General Motors Corp. Chevy Impala and related trademarks are the property of General Motors Corp.