Impala Forums banner

Blend Door Actuator....Check!

214K views 83 replies 38 participants last post by  chevyguy63 
#1 ·
Today, I got fed up with the blend door actuator on my car clicking, and had to make a trip to a shop right across the street from the Chevy dealer. So I though, I'll get the part I need. The blend door actuator that went out on mine was the air inlet actuator. It is fairly simple to get to, you drop the glovebox. Look up near the top of the glove box door, you will see how to drop the glovebox all the way. There are two of the actuators they are easily accessible from the glove box. I believe the temperature svtuator is on the left, and the inlet actuator is further back on the right side. It is easier to drop the cover below the fan motor where the courtesy light is. Three clips. The you can reach your arm up there and feel for the 5mm screws, you just don't have the room to turn the wrench from the glove box opening. I didn't take any pictures because I couldn't due to cramped conditions, but one you see how yo let the glovebox swing all the way dow:WTF:n, its very straightforward. I believe in the dual zone climate controls there ate four actuators, two for for temperature control, one for the recirculate(air inlet) and one for the vent controls. The single zone climate control just condenses the two temp actuators into one. Anyway, it is an easy job to get to the two behind the glovebox, 15 minute job for the air inlet, 10 minutes tops for the temp control (?) if it is the first tome you have done them.

#32 ·
if this makes anybody feel any better, I recently discovered that the blend door actuator problem is not limited to Impalas. I have the same exact issue, currently, in my Lincoln..... thankfully, covered under warranty. It is funny, this is the first issue I've had with the car since I bought it. And, I never had a blend door actuato problem in the Impala, even though it is one of the most common issues.

#33 ·
Seems to be a common issue with GM, ford, and Chrysler. Don't know why...

#34 ·
Okay, opeing this thread back up. As u know with these impalas 2006+ we have the dreaded clicker. Well mine is on the drivers side behind the stereo. I want to know what the actuator is called that way I can purchase it and replace it. And is rockauto a reliable site as I see part numbers above the thread?

#35 · (Edited)
I've placed maybe a dozen orders with Rockauto over the past 2 years. By and large, I've been satisfied. I had a couple of bad parts that were not their fault. When requested, they satisfactorily credited my account.

There is a blend door actuator for mixing hot and cold. Two on cars with split controls. These are in the vicinity of the radio, one on each side. (BTW, my car of reference is an 07 Impala SS.)

There is also the fresh air intake / recirculate acuator, sort of above/behind the glove box on the right.

These three actuators are the same, and can be purchased from Rockauto. From my notes:

> recirc actuator (for blend doors, too)
> GM# 15844096
> ACDelco# 15-75317 (aka 1575317)
>>>>NOTE: 15844096 replaced by 22754988 <<<

Based on your description, "drivers side behind the stereo", I think 1575317 is the part you want.

The mode actuator or mode valve, more descriptively known as the vent selector, is sorta above and to the left of the glove box. This one I could only find at the dealer, but looks like it's now at Rockauto, too. I believe GM 1573516 is the correct p/n - can't find it in my notes. But if this pic is correct, then yes, it's the right part.

FWIW, I was able to repair one of these. The first one to fail, the blend door actuator on the passenger side, I was able to remove, disassemble, re-assemble, and re-install, and it's worked perfectly for ~3 years now. I can't recall for sure what I did, but I think I simply rotated some of the gears away from the bad spot, and was able to re-use it.

That said, ever since, given the effort to swap one out, I've elected to spend 25 bucks and install new parts to know with certainty that it's being fixed reliably.

HTH.

Doug

#36 ·
So to clarify the actuator under the steering column on the drivers side is the recirculate actuator? Wich controls the dual zone climate controls. If that's correct I'm will be purchasing it from rock auto. Just can't stand the noise. Thanks so much for the help doug I will replace it myself rather than wasting money on the dealer.

#37 ·
No, the recirculate actuator is above/behind the glove box on the passenger's side.

The blend door actuators (2 for dual zone) are near each side of the radio, but a little lower.

All three use the same actuator, ACDelco# 15-75317 .

FWIW, here are a couple pics:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug

#41 ·
Sorry about that - I didn't check that on Rockauto today. It appears that 1574122 is an even newer part replacement. It gibes with 1573517 in that part numbers 15844096 and 22754988 are listed alongside 1574122. So I'm confident that's a good fit.

BTW, on these kinda things, I usually check the local parts stores, too. Sometimes postage eats up the savings of mail-order. I see a Dorman at OReillys for 36 bucks. But, in that case, I'd go with the ACDelco at Rockauto instead.

Doug

#42 ·
Ok good to hear they are the same bcuz I only found the parts on rockauto. I heard about dorman not meeting the oem specs so I will stick will acdelco. I checked many local parts store like autozone and napa and they said they dont have it,that it might be a dealer part. So I will get it from rock auto for sure.

#43 ·
If you read up on other peoples experiences here, you wouldn't be looking at the dorman anyway. 9/10 times they start clicking immediately.

#45 · (Edited)
this video helped me big time to get rid of that wood pecker on crack! would love to buy this guy a beer. those of you out there with the same problem just pray its not the actuator on the drivers side. all you unlucky bastards like me, your best bet is to lay down on the seat with your head pretty much on the gas pedal and feet up with the seat leaned all the way back. also the socket you need is 5.5mm which i got at home depot for a couple bucks. buy the acdelco actuator, not the dorman brand. got mine off rockauto.com cheaper than anywhere local.

2006 Chevy Impala SS Blend Door actuator changeout - Ticking/Clacking fix - YouTube

#49 ·
2006 Impala Actuators

Hi - new here, found this forum online - my mom has a 2006 Impala with just about 30,000 miles on it. She started hearing this clicking noise and of course went to the dealer who told her it was the actuator problem and the repair could be up to $450. From reading the postings on this problem, I see it's not unusual, and the part is so cheap that it might just happen again.
The big question I have that I haven't seen addressed is the following - the guy at the dealer told her that the clicking might not stop when she stops the car and it would drain her battery, so now she is afraid to drive the car, because she thinks the battery is going to go dead.
This sounded like a load of crap to me but is it true? It seems to me she could live with the clicking but the dealer guy, seeing an older lady alone with her car, got her all outdone about the battery issue.
Would appreciate all input! (And is there anyone in the Detroit NW suburbs area who can replace the part more cheaply?)
THANKS!!

#50 ·
From my experience, the clicking only lasts a minute or two. It will stop on it's own and WILL NOT drain the battery, it's a simple fix. Unplug it and unbolt it, line up the new one and bolt it/ plug it back in. Took me roughly 30 minutes to do both driver and passenger actuators.

#52 ·
This is the best video i have found on replacing the actuators. I have 2 clicking in my 09 LT. They have been clicking for several months. Took my car to the dealership for a estimate and was quoted $1,100:yikes: (the passenger side $300 and the driver side $800.)total for repairing and was also told the dash had to come out and it was a 2 day job:WTF: liar! I was also told that i had 3 actuators total which I recently found out I had 4 or 5, No way was and am I going to pay that much and not have a car to drive for 2 days! I lucked up and found this video and I am so glad I did. I had already found the parts on autozone.com priced at $25-$30. This video is very informative. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
2006 Chevy Impala SS Blend Door actuator changeout - Ticking/Clacking fix - YouTube

#53 ·
I went through 3 of 4 door lock actuators a couple of years ago on our 08 Impala, and posted the repair process on the forum. Now it's on to the vent actuators. At the end of last winter, my daughter noted that even if she left her car warming up 20 minutes, when she got in the defroster had not been defrosting the windshield and only started blowing hot as she drove. Before I had a chance to look into that, the issue was overcome by Spring. Then last month, clicking ensued and it was the blend door actuator above the glovebox to the right. I just swapped it out today with a Dorman and it is no longer clicking. Can I expect this will fix the warmup issue she observed or might that require one of the other actuators? The car is a dual-zone, so I have four actuators. Not clear to me why any of the actuators would work differently with the car in motion vs. parked. Might I also have a marginal battery and at idle the voltage is too low to run the actuators?

#54 ·
Not an actuator problem, that's low coolant. Might want to take care of that sooner than later.

#55 ·
Yes, it was low on coolant though not sure yet whether that fixes the issue in cold weather. My daughter mentioned hearing clicking again too, so another (or the same) actuator may be failing. What is it with these crappy Impalas? First three door lock actuators, then had to do an actuator on the tranny, now vent actuators. POS

#56 ·
Having no hot air unless moving can only be a low coolant issue, as long as your coolant level is good and the air bubbles are out, I can assure you that issue is resolved. The clicking however, is going to be a actuator.

#58 ·
I have an 07 impala and for almost 2 years now it sounds like a knocking coming from my dash when I cut my air off! Now my heat does not work! It will warm up a little bit and last for about 30 seconds- 2 minutes and then go back to cold air. We added antifreeze and it still did not fix the problem. Do any of y'all think the actuator is the problem or have any other ideas as to what it could be? Thanks so much for the help!

#60 ·
Ford bda's have the same problem with the plastic gears stripping. After replacing 2-3 actuators, one frustrated Ford forum member, with too much time on his hands, disassembled the bda and sourced the correct sized metal gears from Hobby Lobby or the like, lol.

#61 ·
What i have noticed with these door blenders, when they fail and start clicking, if you leave the car out in freezing weather, for some reason it will cause them to turn on and start clicking. I know this because i witnessed it the next day when i picked up my car from where i left it the previous night and it was clicking before i even turned the car on. I'm not sure if its all the door blenders that does this but the one on the left passenger side does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.