Impala Forums banner

2002 Impala, worth fixing?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  C.E.Divine 
#1 ·
I smashed my fathers 2002 impala into a guard rail, basically was going a bit to quick for rush hour, car in front braked hard and I did to, only I hit some gravel that made me barely hit the edge of the guard rail. It maybe bit between 5-8 MPH.

Basically indented the door and the quarter panel next to it and bent a little bit the metal below the door(right back passenger).

Body shop said it was going to cost 4k, car is worth 3k so insurance company is only covering 3k.

I will probably match whatever he pays if he does take that route. So stupid,

but could I goto the junkyard and get a door and quarter panel and have a body shop put it on? and paint it to the color?

would that save a lot? I replaced doors and hoods before, but the welding pretty much cancels this out.

what do you guys think. Really not a bad car, runs perfect I would hate this stupid little accident to put it out of commission but that could very well be the case

See less See more
#2 ·
If the door opens fine then I would put the insurance money back for when it is time to replace the car. As you said the rear quarter panel on this vehicle has to be wielded on. Buying a salvage yard quarter panel and door would save you some money but it is questionable as to how much the repair shop would knock off of their price. If you change the door and they change the quarter panel you may be able to get the full repair done for the 3K.

#4 ·
Part of your decision will have to be taking into account the mileage of the car, and the condition of the car before the wreck. Was it pristine? No mechanical issues at all? Mileage? If it is only going to cost you a grand out of pocket, it is worth it if the car was in really good shape.

If your insurance is willing to cover 100% of the value of the car without totaling it, I want their phone number so I can switch over to them. That is crazy awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.