Impala Forums banner

Security Light

9K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Joe-Bananas 
#1 ·
I just got my car out the shop yesterday(not a GM shop), and I noticed after driving it a few miles my security light came on. I didn't think nothing of it, I figured it would disappear after I turned the car off and turned it back on. I turned it off and turned it back on when I got home and it said "low fuel", the security light came back on, a red light came on not sure which one. Then I turned the car back off, started it back up and everything was fine. I called a GM dealer and they said they'll charge $91 just to perform a diagnostic. Now here's my question, could it be possible the shop I went to disrupted a sensor and it's causing the light to come on? or is it that I have to have something major replaced?

#2 ·
If it is fine now - forget about it. If battery gets too low wierd things can happen - often happens while car is being worked on - they leave the door open, lights on etc. Also, the year of your car may assist others in helping you.

#3 ·
It's a 01. I googled the problem and seen other people with similar problems. Some people were saying it could be the ignition cylinder, some even said something as simple as a worn out key. My thing is, I'm just trying to avoid the dealership and spend $91 just for them to tell me something and nothing was worked on, you know? But right now? It's tricky. Sometimes it would start right up, other times I would have to wait a while then try again and it starts up with no problem. I'm just hoping I can avoid a visit to the dealer with a simple home solution or even a cheap solution by getting a key in better shape

#8 ·
Good suggestion ^^

#5 ·
You can find more information on page 2-28 of your owner’s manual. Your vehicle is equipped with the Passlock theft-deterrent system. Passlock is a passive theft-deterrent system. Passlock enables fuel if the ignition lock cylinder is turned with a valid key. If a correct key is not used or the ignition lock cylinder is tampered with, fuel is disabled and the engine will not start. During normal operation, the SECURITY message will be displayed after the key is turned to the ON ignition position. See “Message Center, Security” in the Index. If the engine stalls and the SECURITY message flashes, wait until the light stops flashing before trying to restart the engine. If the engine is running and the SECURITY message comes on, you will be able to restart the engine if you turn the engine off. However, your Passlock system is not working properly and must be serviced by your dealer. Your vehicle is not protected by Passlock at this time. You may also want to check the fuse (see “Fuses and Circuit Breakers” in the Index). See your dealer for service. In an emergency, contact Chevrolet Roadside Assistance. See “Roadside Assistance” in the Index for more information. I can also look into this further for you with the VIN from your vehicle. Please feel free to contact me either in the thread of via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.