Impala Forums banner

Installing Aftermarket Radios - Get the Harness!!!

73K views 73 replies 32 participants last post by  John F 
#1 ·
I know that radios are expensive and that we all want to save a few bucks. But passing on the adapter harness and trying to wire in the radio directly to the body wiring is quite possibly one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

A) You will lose your door chimes. Which if they are disabled, it can make it difficult to resell the vehicle or trade it in.

B) You will lose your OnStar functionality (if installed)

C) Chevy doesn't have any particular method to their madness when labelling what wire is what and more often than not, doesn't make any sense to the nomenclature used in the aftermarket schematics (which actually follow a standard!).

D) IT'S $100!!! SERIOUSLY!!

E) Installing the aftermarket harness is easier and faster.

So you may ask, "Oh great and powerful Will! How do I know what harness to get as I don't possess the infinite knowledge in your noggin!)

Here's how: Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras

Go there and you'll see a menu called Car Audio/Video&GPS, and then Outfit my car.

Then it will ask you for the Year, Make, Model, Body Style (if applicable), and last but most certainly not least, what original equipment you have or had installed on the car.

It may also ask if you already have a factory or aftermarket stereo installed as well.

Then you can click on Car Receivers, In dash DVD Receivers or In dash GPS Navigation depending on what you have or want to install.

Once you find your radio, it'll tell you everything you need to know. Including WHETHER IT FITS OR NOT!!!

And if you click on Installation Info...oh HAI!

You know what harness to install, how much it costs, and where to get it from.

To see how easy it is with the adapter harness...

Everything is color coded to the standard colors that the aftermarket manufacturers adhere to. With solder splicing instead of butt splicing it took me half an hour to build the harness to get it into the car. And all I had to do was plug it in.

So before you cut into your factory harness, please do the above. Because I've seen it take upwards of TWO WEEKS to get everything working correctly otherwise. It's not worth the money to skip it.

See less See more
#34 ·
Sound System Upgrade! HELP!

Hello,
I have a 2013 Impala LTZ with BOSE/XM/OnStar and would like to make some upgrades to the audio system:

1.Upgrade bass – Alpine SWS-12D4 Dual Voice core (x1) (already Installed)
a.Signal coming from rear deck 6.9 speakers via line converter going to the amp listed below.
b.Using kicker 4awg amplifier kit wiring.
c.Configured at 4 ohms 350 watts
i.Want to configure at 2 ohms 500 but pulls too much power and headlights dim extremely(any suggestions???)

2.Kenwood 5001PS 1000 watt mono amplifier (already installed)
a.Remote wire coming from front passenger floor circuit panel
b.Need help locating a better ground point

3.Pioneer AVH-4000NEX D-Din head unit (factory unit installed)
a.Want to keep XM radio capability
b.Want to keep steering wheel controls and chimes
c.Could care less about the OnStar but Im not sure what all goes into the functionality of having this after new HU.

4.I have a touch sensitive kill switch in line with my remote wire to cut off amp when don’t want base but still want base from 6.9’s

5.Would like to keep the BOSE amplifier powering all the other speakers (Tweaters and door speakers)

I did/will do all the work on my own so would accept all advice I can. I will upload pics of current setup
All that being said what are you guys suggestions as to what I should do/ get (harnesses converters Metro-gmos-lan-0, etc)
PS. Was thinking of adding power to system as well (Stinger batt or capacitor). Lights dim when window goes down or bass is hittin hard

#37 ·
Please please please help!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I am new to all of this and have been searching for specific info on my 2014 Chevy LTZ limited with bose and am finding it extremely difficult. I hate the factory radio in it and am looking to install an in Dash Dvd/cd receiver with back up cam. I have been on Crutchfield and chatted to find out that because my car gets its temperature controls thru the radio it is not suggested to install new receiver. I WANT TO ANYWAY!!! and am wondering has anyone on here accomplished this??? Also would someone be so kind to explain to me the difference between the 2013 LTZ and 2014 because Crutchfield is not showing any parts to fit. Thanks!!

#40 ·
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I am new to all of this and have been searching for specific info on my 2014 Chevy LTZ limited with bose and am finding it extremely difficult. I hate the factory radio in it and am looking to install an in Dash Dvd/cd receiver with back up cam. I have been on Crutchfield and chatted to find out that because my car gets its temperature controls thru the radio it is not suggested to install new receiver. I WANT TO ANYWAY!!! and am wondering has anyone on here accomplished this??? Also would someone be so kind to explain to me the difference between the 2013 LTZ and 2014 because Crutchfield is not showing any parts to fit. Thanks!!
Temperature controls through the radio? That's not true at all for 8th gens lol.
You can slap in any aftermarket radio you want, granted you have the correct wiring harness/dash kit.
You may want to look into the "Plug and Play" double din's that JT told you about. If you aren't looking for simple plug and play then the world is yours, you can install just about any headunit you want lol.

#39 ·
Depending on your needs, you may want to seriously consider a Rosen DS-GM1010-P11. It's a plug-and-play, touchscreen, OEM-look, DVD/Navigation head-unit. You can get them for $325 (refurbished) on the Rosen Outlet site. These head-units are very easy to install, don't require any adapters and retain all factory functions (steering-wheel controls, warning chimes, XM, OnStar, etc).

I have quite a few posts on here about this unit, including a full review. Very powerful unit and it looks like it came in the car from the factory.

EDIT: Here is a link to a thorough review:
http://www.impalaforums.com/audio-...and-play-dvd-navigation-head-unit-review.html

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Yeah, that's of the great benefits of the 8th gens - can use any head-unit that you'd like! Like mentioned above, it doesn't interact with any other car functions (except for warning chimes and steering-wheel controls), so you have a LOT to choose from!

#42 ·
Well why am i having such a hard time finding parts? I actually called a place to have it installed and when I told them what type of car I have they said that they do not have dash kit for my car. When I try to look up parts on Crutchfield for my make and model the site says that I can't get double din dvd..even did online chat

#43 · (Edited)
I suspect that they think that you have a new style Impala (2014 non-Limited Impala). Since there are 2 completely different types of 2014 Impala, it causes a lot of confusion when it comes to parts.

To make things easier, just tell them you have a 2013 Impala! It's exactly the same as your 2014 Impala Limited.

That will help avoid a lot of confusion.

I'd still check out the Rosen though! :)

EDIT: It looks like there is an issue with the Rosen Outlet website right now - it's now longer showing prices or letting you order anything. Last time I checked (week or two ago), you could get a refurbished Rosen 1010 for $325 - includes everything you need as well as a 90 day warranty.

#46 ·
Main benefits are:

1. Super easy installation - literally disconnect the old radio and connect the Rosen. No wire cutting or splicing required.

2. Retains all factory functions without any adapters. No fitment adapters, no steering-wheel control adapters, no XM adapters, no OnStar adapters, no warning chime adapters (stock XM tuner and Onstar may never work with other aftermarket radios - dont' even think that there are adapters available for that).

3. Looks OEM. Since the radio is meant specifically for the car, it looks 100% stock. Fills the radio "hole" perfectly without requiring any adapters. Backlighting matches other car backlighting perfectly (*exact* color match). Also has two round knobs (volume, tuning) like any radio should have! :)

4. Cost - when you compare what you get for the cost, it's hard to beat. Not only do you get a plug and play, touch-screen, DVD/Navigation system that works with ALL stock features without any additional-cost adapters, but you also get it all for far less that a competitive system from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. Plus you save on installation costs since anyone can do it themselves.

5. Provides true dual-zone functionality, so you can, for example, install headrest monitors and play a DVD from the headunit to the headrest monitors, while using navigation and listening to XM/radio up front (rear seat occupants would use wireless headphones for DVD audio). Of course, you can also play DVD or .avi files (from SD card) to both the head-unit screen and headrest monitors and have the audio come out of the car speakers (if you all want to watch the same thing).

Main disadvantages are:

1. It's getting a "long in the tooth". These radios have been around for years, so they don't have any new features such as Android Auto, Apply CarPlay, HD radio, etc.

2. (this could be considered a Pro as well!) - The Interface is a little "plain" (which is a "pro" to some people!). No "wiz bang" graphics or flashing lights!

3. Runs WindowsCE (again, this was the standard until the past few years when Android starting getting into car radios).

That's about it in a nutshell. Read the detailed review I linked to earlier for more details. Also, check My Garage for some pics of the unit installed.

#48 ·
Honestly, I don't know the depth of the "radio cavity", but I do remember other members that had Crutchfield tell them the same thing and found that it fit just fine.

It literally takes 10 minutes to remove the stock radio (super easy in the 8th gen), so if you still have the radio, you can try fitting it to see...

#49 ·
Depth of cavity is 6.431, depth of receiver is 6.525..really thinking that it will fit so thanks for all of your advice. I am gonna attempt (first time) to take it out this evening and see if it will fit or not before i send it back. I'll keep ya posted:wink:

#50 ·
I just checked my pioneer model on Crutchfields site and it says mine doesn't fit either. Mine fits without an issue really. Actually the site shows that the mounting depth for mine is even deeper than the unit you're about to install so I'm pretty sure you can fit it in there without an issue. And damn I shouldn't have looked on that site, the new model Pioneers look freakin' sweet. lol Might sell mine to upgrade lol.

#51 ·
Thanks, Ill let you know a little later whether it fits or not...hoping it does, that'll save me 9.00 in shipping Lol, I looked to find yours but didn't the find exact model with part number AVH4500XBT... the AVH4500BT looked nice but a little more than I wanted to spend. Which one are you thinking about swapping with?

#56 ·
I never use my steering wheel controls so I was thinking about opting out of that..I have purchased metra 95-3305 and axxess Gmos-lan-02..am I right so far? what else will I need? I attempted to take factory radio out last night and realized that I didn't have a pry tool :gaah:

#57 ·
FYI - you don't need a pry tool for the radio removal. I actually have a set of pry-tools and NEVER use them for the radio.

To remove the bezel around the radio, I actually stick a knife-blade in between the bezel and dash area in the upper-right-hand corner (about an inch down) and just pry it off. Once I get it started with the knife blade, I use my fingers to get it the rest of the way off.

IMO, the pry tools are too thick. A knife blade is really thin and works great.

#60 ·
Good to know it can be done tho...I decided to keep the Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS because I'm confident that it will fit and I couldn't figure out what the major differences were between the other models besides pricing..

#64 ·
update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm last night I get all the wires hooked up and the axxess box breaks while I'm trying to adjust the radio volume :bang::bang::bang: the place where I purchased it agreed to send me a replacement in two days so I'm happy about that but while I was installing, I ran into a problem with the ausio staying on while the car was running. If I turned the key once, the radio played..when the I started the car the audio went out ....any suggestions

#65 ·
Not to sounds like a jerk, but all of this highlights why the Rosen is such a nice radio, especially when installing it yourself - just disconnect old and connect new. Done. :)

But seriously, I hope that you get it resolved soon. I'm assuming that the radio physically fit OK?

#71 ·
Alright guys....I'm kind of embarrassed but I'll admit it. I'm one of those people who got overly excited with install a new stereo. I just had gotten a sound system including a 2 6.5" boss door speakers, 1,200W boss amp, 2 Memphis 12's, and some 8 dollar tweeters just for some added treble. Well back to the topic at hand, I thought the stereo install would be cake and the easiest install of all. So before I cut the factory harness out, I used the correct harness to adapt onto my factory plug but got no power so I said screw it and w/ out hesitating I thought I'd try to just cut and hardware thinking it'd be simple....come to find out that'd I'd really pay for it 2 weeks after trying to do that. I now have wires sticking out from my radio dash and have not had a stereo for that time now because I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF, no matter all the extra stuff I have to do. 8 don't care for the chimes and what not. So if somebody could tell me what I can do to make my install a little easier id appreciate it immensely. Let me remind that I have an 01 impala, no onstar, and the factory harness is cut out so I must hardware. "Must" isn't the right word. But FOR NOW I want to just hardwire it

#72 ·
Also, I want to add a question to my previous comment. Would it work if I bought a reverse harness and then bought the data bus interface and harness for my stereo? So pretty much reverse the butting of the harness that I so stupidly (I'm being nice to myself) did, and then doing it the right way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.