Impala Forums banner

2001 Impala Headlights not working?

53K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ladiispiider6996 
G
#1 ·
My 2001 Impala headlights will not come on. I don't think both lights blew out at the exact same time. I think it has somthing to do with the auto light sensor or the fuse. Fuses are abbreviated and can't figure out which one is for the headlights. As far as I can tell there is a relay near the fuse panel also. Can this be the problem? High beam switch will flash high beams but they will not stay on.

G
#2 ·
The left headlamp is fed thru the underhood fuse marked "DRL/EXT LTS"-15 amp fuse.
The right headlamp is fed thru "EXT LTS"-15 amp. The headlamp switch sends a signal to the body computer telling it to kick the headlamp relay located under the dash on the left side. Very common for relays to go bad, and for Body Control Modules to go bad. The best thing to do is make sure the signal is being sent to the BCM. And, yes, the ambient light sensor can cause your problem, also. The testing procedure for no headlamp operation is, to say the least, intense, and the use of a GM scan tool is recommended to speed things up.

#4 ·
i got a 2001 impala too and i got the same problem, but they came back on a month later and stayed on for a while then went back out. i checked the fuses and nothing was blowed, someone told me it might be my dimmer switch so im in the process of changing that now.

#5 ·
I work in a parts store and at least once a week someone has to replace a gm headlight switch they are crap but a good way to tell is at night or where ever its dark leave your lights off but pull back on the bright switch, until you release it both high and low beams will be lit. if they come on you know for a fact that its the switch on the dash. Hope that helps.

#8 ·
im having the same problem with my 2002 Impala. I changed the Multi switch last year, I just changed the light switch, I just changed the relay in the fuse box. I am about to try the fuse box under the hood. There are two fuses or relays there for headlights. Wish me and you luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.