Impala Forums banner

2003 9C1 - New ignition cylinder - 'Security' light on

10K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wakawu 
#1 ·
Like the title says, 2003 Impala 9C1. I just replaced the ignition cylinder and key with a new set due to the old set being hard to turn and I had to jiggle it to get it to unlock.

After the install I went ahead and turned the key in between the on and crank position then left it in the on position for 10 minutes.. as seen in this instructional the security/battery light stayed on going back and forth from battery to security light. I cranked it over and it starts up just fine every time but the 'Security' light is still on solid in the dash when running. I tried the reset procedure 2 more times but after 10 minutes each time the security light doesn't go off. Could the ignition cylinder be defective or am I missing something?

Thinking maybe it would have been a better idea to just let a locksmith rebuild the old ignition switch as that only jammed up when put into the off position.

Anyway.. any advice?

#2 ·
So .. does it start just fine now and just the security light stays on now? Or ..

I would call around to locksmiths and ask if they have a tech 2 scanner. Some do. If not it's likely off the dealer and shop that does have one.

#4 ·
Did you unplug your battery when you swapped the ignition switch? If so I'd check the connections at the battery mine came on intermittently with a loose battery cable... after that I'd suspect the Passlock sensor.

#6 ·
Yes the battery should be unhooked if the pass lock sensor was replaced as well.

#7 ·
So just an update... I dunno why I didn't think of trying this before but after fiddling around trying to relearn the new passlock code I removed the new tumbler cylinder assembly and swapped it back into the old passlock housing since the housing/passlock was still good and I only had an issue with the old tumbler/cylinder anyway. Plugged it into the ignition switch and it turned right on, no security light anymore. Didn't think that would work but there ya go. I figured there would be some sort of link between each lock cylinder and passlock but apparently not.. Saved myself the pain of going to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.